Moustache Survey from Smedstad in Norway
Thank you Smedstad
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?:
only about 10 months since I stopped trimming. I have had beards and moustaches in various incarnations since it was physically possible. I like to change how I look and while this is my first handlebar moustache, it will certainly not be my last!
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? :
It was one of the few facial hair styles I had yet to attempt and I felt like it was time.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache?:
men – positive; women – negative.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?:
I haven’t received any strange comments, but sometimes I do see people stare and teenagers giggle.
5. I’ve found that having an handlebar moustache has had various effects on my personality behavior, attitude, self-expression and so forth. Has having an handlebar moustache brought out changes in your self-expression, sense of self, behavior? Please elaborate.:
I haven’t had the moustache long enough to feel like it is a part of my personality – generally, when I start to feel too attached to my facial hair, I shave it off. I don’t really want my moustache to define me.
6. Many men with handlebar moustaches comment that they see themselves as non-conformists in some way, or as individualistic. Do you feel there is something like this in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache, or do you just like the look? Please elaborate.:
I sometimes feel a little self-conscious in this clean-cut world, but mostly I don’t think about it until someone reminds me that I look different. I guess I am a non-conformist – that’s probably what made me grow the handlebar. currently, I have extended my look to match my father ca. 1974 and now have large mutton chops and shaggy hair to go with my handlebar (mostly worn down to match the style).
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?:
8. If you grew your handlebar moustache while in a relationship, what sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other? :
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?:
Bounder – fantastic, stiff hold, but difficult to work with Stern’s – fantastic, stiff hold, great for molding tips Firehouse WT – just a touch for a soft daily hold
I have tried several other waxes, but those are what I use most now. I am thinking of trying some new waxes soon. the beauty of Bounder and Stern’s is that they provide great hold without greasiness, but if you get any dust or crumbs in your moustache, you pretty much have to wash it out and style it again. with the WT, you an just comb out the offending particles.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?:
indicates assiduous patience
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back? :
I have an ambivalent relationship to my moustache. I am really starting to love it, but I don’t want to look the same forever. I will definitely shave it off, but I will definitely grow it back again.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look. :
no paraphernalia yet, wouldn’t mind a nice comb & mug, though.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?:
The Handlebar Club – of course!
14. Have you participated in online events like Moustache May, Movember or others, and what was that like?:
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?:
16. Can you list here some links to online photos of your moustache I can use for this survey if published, or if you don’t have pics online, may I email you so you can send me what you would like to share?
There are a few on the Handlebar club site – use whatever you like!
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, and does it interfere with the act of kissing? :
wife doesn’t like it. it does interfere with kissing – gets in our mouths and up her nose. may be one of the major reason a shave is on the horizon.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?:
yes, it gives me the ability to stand out in any crowd.
19. Would you share your location?:
Click here to see the SITE MAP for a list of OVER 100 articles on this blog.
You may enjoy these related posts: