Moustache Survey by Count Justinian
Submitted by Count Justinian – Thanks, CJ!
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?:
I’ve had my handlebar for about 15 months or so, since last spring. I had a fu manchu for a while a few years ago, but other than that it’s been mostly beards, goatees, soul patches and mutton chops for me. This is my first real foray into moustaches.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache?:
To be honest, most people think I’ve lost my mind. My wife is included in that category.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?:
At the mall over the winter, a young kid tugged at his mom yelling repeatedly, “It’s Mario! It’s Mario!” I also get a lot of Snidely Whiplash references from people making wanting to make sure I don’t tie them to train tracks.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?:
I attended the Coney Island 2010 Beard and Moustache Competition but my handlebar wasn’t yet ready for competition. Maybe this year.
8. If you grew your handlebar moustache while in a relationship, what sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other? :
See question 3 above. She thinks it’s ridiculous, but doesn’t fight me on it anymore. I’ll turn the tips down for her in certain social settings.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?:
I’m a bit impartial, as I recently started making and distributing a wax called Count Justinian Moustache Wax. The details are at http:www.CJMoustacheWax.tumblr.com and on Twitter at @CJMoustacheWax. Trying to be as objective as possible though, I really do think it’s a great product. To me it strikes a good balance between the hold of a traditional wax and the workability of a softer cream. Before Count Justinian Moustache Wax launched, I was using Hndlebars primarily. It’s a good stiff wax with good hold, though it can be a bit tough to wash out sometimes.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?:
It makes him an icon. In response to all the talk about hipsters growing “ironic” moustaches, our company’s logo is “A Moustache Is ICONIC, not Ironic.”
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back? :
It’s not going anywhere for a while. I love it.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look. :
I bought a great tee shirt from shirt.woot. It has a cartoon cowboy holding a six-shooter in each hand, and two more with the curls of his handlebar.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?:
I think this site is great. The Handlebar Club in the UK has a good site. The Moustache Institute is another. And, of course, the Count Wax site .
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, and does it interfere with the act of kissing? :
Not an issue. Frothy beer on the other hand….
19. Would you share your location?:
Click here to see the SITE MAP for a list of OVER 100 articles on this blog.
You may enjoy these related posts: