Handlebar Moustache Survey by William of the UK
William’s very splendid moustache!
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
Since 1985. Had a moustache on and off since the ’70’s and decided to make a statement and image that people would recognise me by. Not necessarily a conscious effort but felt I needed something after losing my glasses for contact lenses.
Finally joined the Handlebar Club in early 2000 after running into their archivist on the Orient Express. No murders this time!
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
As I said, it was really down to the loss of glasses.
Click to ENLARGE
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Usually very positive and complimentary and even more so in the last couple of years where facial hair has become ‘fashionable’ again. As I had always had a moustache of one type or another, my other half was used to the ‘feel’ and was shocked when I decided to cut it off in the early ’90’s. Soon grew it back.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
The usual one from females, which I always mange to pre-empt-‘yes it does’.
Another one which I have had recently is do you have it like that all the time. Of course I do. ‘Is it your own?’ Would I really go out wearing a false one?
Working on the set of Suffragettes recently I was called back by make-up and asked to take my moustache off before I went home!!!!
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, and sense of self?
Of course. It does give me a ‘persona’ and is definitely a talking point and of course one can always play up the part-but quite honestly the pretence of being countrified upper class and wearing tweed doesn’t really do it for me. Saying that I do like to wear ties and the occasional cravat.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I have always worked in the entertainment industry and started off doing a lot of theatre, so the ‘flamboyant’ side of the lifestyle probably influenced me subconsciously.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
Yes, I was one of the organising committee for the 2007 World championships in Brighton and I did attend the British Beard & Moustache Championships two years ago. I have never entered a contest.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
Get a life.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I use a mixture of products depending on time and what I am doing through the day. I use Pat Foads and Captain Fawcett’s Richie’s wax, but generally I use a Swartzkopf hair styling product called ‘Got 2B’ which keeps it firm and in shape all day. If I want a softer look then I will use one of the waxes.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Gives you presence and in some countries a position of class, respectability etc.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Very attached. Several thousand pound, in excess of £10k but I would have to grow it back.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
Of course, who hasn’t?
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
There are so many now but the original has to be the Handlebar Club http://www.handlebarclub.co.uk
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
Do we really spell colour like that???? Is this an American site? I regress. It has now caught up with the colour and also growth of the hair on my head. Grey is forming on the temples and working its way into the moustache. Lack of growth has also been noticeable on both the head (more so) and the moustache over the past 10-15 years.
Yes, died it green when I played the usherette in the opening scene from The Rocky Horror Show (to match my wig). Yes I did wear the heels and fishnet tights.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Not sure as I have only just discovered the site and need to spend a little more time looking at it.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
It has been a big draw especially during the ’80’s and ’90’s. I can’t go into too much detail without incriminating myself but it has certainly been a bonus. It hasn’t ever interfered with kissing and why should it.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I am a sound engineer and it certainly helps clients remember me and when working with other crews there is no possibility that they will not remember me from a previous job.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Wish it did.
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
Use a plastic spoon and eat from a tub when eating Italian ice cream. Forget candy floss and one of my favourites, jam doughnuts. Porridge can be very testing especially if you don’t clear any residue. I suppose rice pudding and soup cause the same amount of caution.
Would never remove it for any eating issues, would find a way around it.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
I have had to have it reversed into a Fu manchu style for a film once.
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
My preferred style is a cross between English handlebar and Imperial and Hungarian but unfortunately I no longer have the bulk of growth for the Hungarian any more. I always keep to a standard handlebar style.
22. Would you share your location and / or your age?
Yes and why not