Handlebar Moustache Survey by Shorty of South Dakota.
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
Have had a mustache for 32 years, handlebar for 20.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
Always liked them because they were different. Great uncle was a cowboy and wore one.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Why are you doing that? Very little comments other than teenagers asking how I get it to do that.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
“That is a magnificent mustache.” “You look very distinguished.”
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
More self-confidence. You have to be proud of yourself to do something out of the ordinary.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I like being different. I am somewhat old fashioned and a cowboy so it fits.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
No, but thought about it.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
Just grin and say “to each his own”
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
Hair spray because it makes it look more natural. Don’t care for the slicked down waxed look.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Makes him look distinguished. Sets him apart for the others.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Ain’t happening. Cut it off once. Grew it right back. Just wasn’t me without it.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
I have a few mustache cups.
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
The only other site I’ve been to is the handlebar club.
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
It was a bit redder than my hair. Now it is motley gray. Would prefer it darker. Used to dye it a bit darker especially when half of it went gray. But it became a pain once it all went gray so I leave it natural now.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
I think you have it covered.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
Not really noticed a difference other than superficial women don’t come around. If they can’t deal with it, they are not for me.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
Cowboy. Kind of fits. Cows don’t seem to mind.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Not that I’m aware of.
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
Check it after eating for chunks. Avoid wide food. Beer bottles work better than a mug. I don’t mind it at all when eating. Just need to be careful.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
No, but I tend to build a costume around it.
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
Non waxed and natural with a slight natural curl. Don’t really change it much.
22. Would you share your location and / or your age?
Eureka SD 52