Handlebar Moustache Survey by “r00″
Welcome to “r00”
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I had mine for just about a year, it was my first foray into facial hair at all as I am follicle-y challenged in the beard department.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
While I do have pictures of my great grandfather with a very in-style early 1900’s moustache, I have no proof that I am not the first in my family to grow the handlebar style moustache. I have always admired men that can grow facial hair, my father has had a full beard my entire life, and since I cannot grow a full beard I decided to make the most of the hair I can grow – with a handlebar.
Click to enlarge
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Most people that knew me personally commented on how “weird” it was to see me with facial hair and often added that I was crazy for growing such a strong statement on my face. My wife hated the feeling of the moustache styled or natural, but did enjoy the confidence that I derived from my new facial hair.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
I have gotten everything from “Hey, Monopoly Man!” to “Oh my God that thing is AMAZING!”. I have had complete strangers, on more occasions than I can remember, ask to take pictures with me and ask to feel it.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Absolutely, I have always been an outgoing and adventurous person but having the handlebar pushed me over the edge of self-confidence, almost into the range of cockiness. As I stated above, I have always admired men that can grow facial hair and for the first time in my life I felt as though I was a real man.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I love meeting new people and I (very correctly) assumed that a handlebar moustache would allow me to go out and meet even more people than I ever had before.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
No moustache contests, but I did enter a photo contest for Snorgtees.com and won a prize for wearing a “With great moustache comes great responsibility” shirt while proudly displaying my real handlebar next to Chef Spike Mendelsohn sporting a stick-on handlebar.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
My gut reaction is “Piss off”, if you don’t have the confidence to wear one proudly don’t knock me for being capable and willing to do so.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I have two that I alternate between depending on how my moustache is behaving that day: Firehouse Moustache Wax’s Wacky Tacky, and Rex Wax dark brown firm wax. Wacky Tacky is sticky to keep those stray hairs in line and the Rex Wax is stiff to keep the curls out strong.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
It provides a living ice breaker, capable of providing a conversation piece in every conceivable situation.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I shaved it last Movember for donations to the cause, and I am currently in the process of growing it back to do the same this year. I am sure I will go through lengthy periods of my life without my handlebar moustache but I think I will always grow it back (I can’t wait to have a grey handlebar one day!)
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
I have several shirts and a roll of handlebar duct tape, but I am always open to picking up more handlebar related paraphernalia.
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
The majority of my moustache grows in blonde, which is not even close to the medium-to-dark brown that my hair grows on my head. I dye it once a week to match the rest of my hair.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Just great examples of men wearing a handlebar with style and class – representing the rest of us well.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
It doesn’t interfere for me, but my wife doesn’t enjoy it so we do kiss less when I have it.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
While I had it before I was a Radiology Technician at an animal hospital and other than my direct supervisor being unhappy, the practice owner and most clients loved it. This year I am a veterinary student studying to become a veterinarian and from what I have heard everyone at the college loved it in my application photo.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
I have no eating tips, but I will gladly accept any that you guys have – it can be ROUGH. I wouldn’t get rid of the handlebar for food related reasons, but it certainly does cut down on my hot beverage consumption.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
YES! I have, on more than one occasion, styled it after Salvador Dali for comedic effect.
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I prefer bushy center and large, thick curls – but I don’t often achieve this look with my own handlebar. When it is not cooperating I have been known to trim the center portion shorter and give myself tighter curls for ease of styling but I always try to go back to the bushier handlebar.
22. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well:
Any notable handlebar moustaches that inspire you?
Absolutely! Greg T Brown: http://www.youtube.com/user/gregzy
Model François Verkerk has an amazing ginger handlebar
23. Would you share your location and / or your age?
Florida 27 years old
You may enjoy these related posts: