Handlebar Moustache Survey Results from “Burghstache”
(ed.: This survey had the name Matthew Petta on it in error prior to May 7 2013)
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve had a constant moustache for a decade or so, and I’ve grown my handlebar out for the past five years.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache?
They look great, and my ‘stashe tend to curl on its own, the picture is pretty much without wax, except for what’s here residually.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
People tend to like it, it’s unique. I teach college and my students seem to enjoy it.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
Not many, actually. Men like it more than women; I think more guys would grow their facial hair out if they didn’t get comments from their partners.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
It’s just uncommon enough that I enjoy it. It’s particularly fun when i come across another facial hair irregular.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I’m a pipe smoker, the two characteristics seem to go together. But I admired a friend of my father’s handlebar as a kid.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
Not yet, I need to grow it out more so it’d truly extraordinary.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I don’t get many negative comments, people seem to like it.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I have a bunch of waxes — from relatively soft pastes to beeswax to glues. I don’t completely wax the ‘stashe very often — I can do a Rollie Fingers pretty easily — but normally keep it more relaxed for every day.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
It’s a nice statement about nonconformity and being comfortable with one’s appearance and masculinity.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
It would take losing a very substantial wager to cut it off.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
I like the English Handlebar Club, those guys look like they enjoy good pipe tobacco, beer, and outrageous facial hair
14. Have you participated in online events like Moustache May, Movember or others, and what was that like?
A month doesn’t seem like enough time to grow a proper moustache, but maybe if I were hairier …
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
More moustaches and more pipe smokers.
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, and does it interfere with the act of kissing?
It actually seems to enhance it.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
It keeps people from bothering me when I smoke a pipe.
19. Would you share your location?
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
Nope. My ‘stashe isn’t a costume, it’s part of who I am.
You may enjoy these related posts: