Handlebar Moustache Survey by Red Beard of Florida
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I started growing my mustache as an homage to the old days when I was performing in the Flying High Circus in Tallahassee Florida in 2007-2008
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
No men in my family have facial hair of any type. I’m a trendsetter I guess.
Click to Enlarge
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
She loves it. Would probably leave me now if I cut it!
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
I remember one particularly drunk guy at a block party or something once saying, “Hey….hey…. what’s that supposed to be?” *pointing at my face “…a mustache or something?” Yes, why yes it is.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, and sense of self?
It has definitely become a part of who I am, a way of expressing my individualism and uniqueness. An outward badge of unabashed style, classic taste and artistry.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
My desire for uniqueness and artistic expression I guess.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
No but maybe one day.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
They don’t get it, live and let live. I just feel sorry for them that they can embrace whimsy or personal expression.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I’ve used many types, mostly homemade. I’ve recently changed my recipe to a 5:4 ratio of Organic bees wax and Vaseline with just a touch of mint oil and organic soap. Works the best yet. Though I would like to find a “drier” hold
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Elevates him to stuff of legend.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Incredibly so. You’d have to pay me $50k a year for life. $100k for a smooth lip and $500K a year to go clean shaven.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
Never dyed it, easily 3-4 colors in the stache I’m a ginger so the beard and mustache tend to be a reddish auburn and my hair is sandy brown.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Wax, glue, styling tips and tutorials.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
Married to the same women since I’ve had it, she loves it. When we go out a lot of ladies will hit on me or want photos with me.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I manage a performing arts / special events venue where I am considered “an artist” so it’s tolerated (not encouraged, but accepted). Mostly all positive, the mustache reputation preceeds me.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Just being ultra f-ing cool, the life of the party!
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
On more than one occasion when taking large bites I’ve bitten into it.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
No, but I generally base Halloween costumes around it.
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I do have a variety of styles but I generally gravitate toward large loop or tight spiral.
22. Would you share your location and / or your age?
Upstate NY – United States / 29