Handlebar Moustache Survey by R. D. Reed
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve had beards of different lengths and styles for 41 years. When I saw the no shave November challenge this past November 2014, I let everything grow for the month. So, December 1st, I trimmed my beard but left the mustache. I’m liking having a handlebar. It makes me feel like I’m a conversation piece, although so far there haven’t been any comments.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
I’ve always liked them. Can’t say any relatives have ever had one that I know of.
Click to ENLARGE
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
I haven’t had much reaction. My son likes it, and a friend at church has a long full beard and handlebar and coached me somewhat. My wife does not like it. Plus she thinks I look older. I am older!
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
I haven’t had it that long.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
There’s that sense of anticipation that someone is going to say something. Now, will it be pro or con?
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I’m pretty much old school, and I think the handlebar mustache is classic.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
No, I’m new to this, and haven’t looked for such activities.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
Honestly, that will hurt me tremendously. But we can’t please everyone, and everyone has their opinion. They will just have to get over it.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
So far I’ve just used Axe pomade and Aussie instant freeze hair spray.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Well for one thing, it sets you apart. I guess it puts you into something exclusive.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Right now I have no desire to cut it back. Time will tell. My wife doesn’t like it, but admitted that maybe she would get used to it. We’ll see.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
No, not at all. Might have to start looking in to that.
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
No, sorry. I’m just now starting to research.
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
My hair is brown, often called sandy, and my beard and mustache had a tint of red. At my age, my beard and mustache are mostly light grey with a tiny bit of brown. it is what it is, and I have no desire to dye it.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
I guess just support, and maybe some good tips and suggestions of new products, etc. And of course, it’s nice to have the gallery and personal stories.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
That’s just not an issue at all. I just wish my wife was more supportive.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I am a skilled laborer in a shop. There just haven’t been any comments or discussions.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Well, maybe just a super awareness that I look a little different.
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
I must say, I need to raise my upper lip as high as I can, especially when eating things like jelly toast or something with soft icing, etc.!
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
No, I don’t see that happening. I hope to be most presentable.
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I don’t make tight curls much right now. I might do that at times, but I mostly leave it in a “natural” curl.
22. Would you share your location and / or your age?