Handlebar Moustache Survey by Pete of Pittsburgh
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I grew out my facial hit in April 2014. So 8 months.
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
No history just always thought they were cool. I grew a goatee then noticed myself twirling the ends of the mustache unconsciously. Got some wax and have been hooked ever since. Surprisingly my wife likes it too. So for now it stays.
Click to ENLARGE
What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
My mother and both grandmothers hate it. Wife loves it. I once had two separate women hours apart tell me that my stache looks “classy”. Was a good day. Most kids think it is a fake stache. It’s fun watching parents try to explain it.
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I have more pride in my appearance.
- What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
Always liked to stand out. Hats shirts , anything that was different
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
No one but my mom has said anything to my face. I am an RN and a very confused patient told me she hated it when confused. When she was better she complimented it. Some people stare and whisper in public. It makes me laugh.
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
Firehouse and villian waxes are my favorites so far. I use an old eyebrow brush handle to help with the loops
- What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Sheer class baby!
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I may keep it forever if my wife is ok with that. I suppose if I went on trial for something I would cut it. Don’t want to look dastardly on the stand.
- Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
Got a shave mug with a stache. Kids have a board game. Mustache smash.
- All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
It’s black so far same as my head. Few greys moving in though.
- What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Rating system that can be commented on. Been buying wax essentially blind and guessing. Only two of 5 have been good on my stache.
- How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
I use a stiff wax and keep it up off my lip. Didn’t really interfere.
- What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
Registered Nurse. Co workers like it. Patients either ignore it or it’s an ice breaker.
- Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
Fork and knife is better. Can do small bites. Sandwiches and burgers are hard on the stache.
- Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
Always trying new curl shapes etc.
- What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
Full rings on the end.
- Would you share your location and / or your age?