Handlebar Moustache Survey by Paul of MN
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve had my current mustache about 5 months now. I was in the military prior and require to shave on a regular basis but there have been times when I had some facial hair in the past.. But nothing this long.
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
I LOVE men’s style from the 1800s. I love America and European history. I think my grandfather had a mustache but I didn’t know him. My father has had a beard ever since he retired. I can’t grow a full beard so I just started growing what I could and it turned out I really liked the look of the handlebar stache. Right now I have sort of a civil war era mustache / goatee thing going but it’s definitely the stache that defines the look.
Click to ENLARGE
What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
My wife got used to kissing with my mustache and now she accepts it as part of the family. All my family and friends think it looks good on me. I seem to get the most comments from strangers that are younger (like teen to mid 20s).. I think that means I’m hip, right?
- What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
Sometimes people ask if it’s real.
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, and sense of self?
Makes me feel like a BOSS!
- What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
It’s different. Everyone grows a beard but rarely do you see people with a big stache. The full handlebar takes a lot of patience honestly; always having hair on your lips and in your mouth isn’t something a lot of people can handle. I’ve always liked being different (in a good way).
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
Not yet, eventually maybe. As I mentioned I can’t grow a full beard so my mustache isn’t as thick as a lot of guys I see with full handlebars… So I don’t know that I’d ever be a contender but I can dream, right?
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
Own it and people will realize you’re a boss.
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I use some kind of wax I ordered off Amazon. I need to find something with more firm hold I think. Or I need some styling and grooming advice, it often feels out of control and really doesn’t do want I want it to most of the time!
- What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Sets him apart from all the others and helps project someone who cares about manly virtues.
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Hmmm, it would have to be something that affected the health or welfare of my family or others. Or I suppose if my wife really was insistent about it, I would shave it. But thankfully she likes it!
- Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
- Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
- All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
My stache is darker than my hair
- What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
I need to discover all that is here first before I put anything in this comment!
- How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
Making out is little different.. My wife has gotten used to kissing the stache but sometimes she tries to move it out of the way. Sometimes I’ll wax to the side best I can if I know I’m about to get down.. Ha.
- What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
Software engineer. It’s always a topic of conversation and an icebreaker at work!
- Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
- Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
Just always have a napkin handy.. I find I can keep messes to a minimum if I have something to wipe with. However, being outside in the winter is annoying because the stache collects a lot of moisture that tends to freeze (it gets cold where I live).
- Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
- What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I don’t know.. I need help with styling! Though I tend to just brush it to the side and out most days. Some days I “wear it up” which means I put wax on it and try to get the ends to curl up and look fancy!
- Would you share your location and / or your age?
Age 40 / Minneapolis, MN, USA