Handlebar Moustache Survey of Jabes in Boise
Introducing Jabes and his fine Handlebar Moustache
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I first decided to grow a handlebar moustache in January of this year. I discovered my moustache was ready to shape on April 6th. So I am in the beginning stage of my handlebar moustache life.
I have tried to grow mo’s in the past but they always bugged me and I would shave them off within a month. But now that I have a handlebar it will be difficult if I ever have to go back to a bald lip.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
In January I decide to trim my chin strap and grow a Van Dyck style Goatee and eventually decided that if I was going to grow a moustache I might as well grow big and make it a handlebar.
My grandpas on both sided have had handlebar moustaches most of my life. One has a full curled handlebar with the middle trimmed. The other had a more petite handlebar with the tips pointy. I don’t know about any ancestors with handlebars.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
I have received pretty positive reactions. Most people don’t say anything. But when they do say something, it’s usually something like, “Awesome Stache!”
My wife is pretty receptive of it. I change my facial hair quite often, so she is used to my wild styles. She says I look funny.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
Someone once told me I “was very memorable” and I replied “I like it that way” they then said “What if the cops are after you?”
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I was super excited when I figured out my moustache was ready to style. In the week since I have noticed that I am much more confident, and I feel a lot more awesome.
My behavior has changed quite a bit. I used to make fun of women for taking so long to get ready and fussing over their looks so much. But now, I take just as long to get my moustache ready, and I spend a lot of time fussing over my stache, and making sure its just right.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I stand out at work as happy happy. The handlebar is like a permanent smile. I really just want to stand out and be different. I have always admired my grandpa and want to be like him. Having a handlebar moustache helps me be more confident, especially when people tell me that it looks good, and suits me.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
I have not. I wanted to enter a local one in March but my handlebar was not quite ready. I plan on entering the next one. There is a beard club in town that I have thought about joining but now that I shaved my beard, I’m not too sure.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
If someone tells me I look odd or stupid I would probably just smile and say nothing. I’ve learned in life that there will always be someone who has a negative opinion about you, and that it is best to just smile and let it going. Those people are looking to get a response, and I won’t give them what they want.
If someone tells me I look silly, I will laugh and say, “mision accomplished!”
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I am in the process of trying out different waxes.
My grandpa gave me a stick of Fathers Wax. I liked it because of the easy roll on application. But my cats liked playing with it, and sadly it is lost.
I then bought some Murrays beeswax. It was all that was available at the store.
A friend gave me some clubman. I like the smell of it. I currently use it in combination to the Murrays.
I recently bought some Firehouse Wacky Tacky, and Dark. I have not tried it yet. But I bought it to support the firefights and because the reviews have been pretty positive.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
It helps build confidence. And provides for a good attitude. It depends on the man I think. But for me the handlebar had giving me loads of confidence, and it makes me smile.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
At first I didn’t like my moustache but its grow in on me. And I think that it will be very difficult to get rid of it now. It better be a good paying job. I wouldn’t say I am attached to my handlebar quite yet. Right now I have a goal in my mind to have an epic looking handlebar like my grandpa and Rollie Fingers.
Eventually I might shave it off for a charity event. Or a job. But it would have to be a good paying job.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
So far I have only accumulated wax. If I see some moustached merch in a store I will probably buy it. But I don’t go to stores often.
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
My mo’ is dark with a red tint to it. My hair is light brown/blonde. I love my coloring and would never dye it.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
More of the same awesomeness. I think the website is very well put together. Maybe you could do monthly online moustache contests or a rate my stache application.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
My wife is pretty receptive to it. She will grow to love it, of that I am sure. Kissing is a challenge because it tickles her, but again, she’ll get used to it.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I am a cashier in a parking garage. Most customers just look at me and smile, but don’t say anything, but some give positive comments. My coworkers and superiors all think it looks pretty good.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
It gives me the power to be awesome.
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
I am always concerned about my mo when I eat. I welcome any tips and suggestions. Eating with a moustache is very new to me. I continuously fuss about it and worry that I am getting sauce in it. I need tips. The other day I was eating a large hamburger and I noticed that my ‘stache was getting caught on the bun and pulling. I have been tempted to remove it, but the temptations usually relax after I have finished eating and found out that I didn’t make a mess of it.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
No.But I have some ideas for next halloween. Luigi, Dick Dastardly, a boxer, Wyatt Earp.
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
Right now I can only do one style; pointed straight out with just a little upward curl. I prefer large curls, but I will try a variety of styles.
22. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well: Are there any famous people that you would like to see with a HB?
I think our next president should have a handlebar. I also think my favorite football team, the Denver Broncos, should all sport handlebars.
23. Would you share your location and / or your age?
26yrs / Boise, Id
You may enjoy these related posts: