Handlebar Moustache Survey by James Durbin II
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I have had this since December 18 2013. First recorded selfie. I have often had a mustache or beard, but nothing more than scruff.
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
Went about six months without shaving and my wife thought I should try waxing the ends. Once it curled a little I reduced it to a mustache and Royal. Then eventually just the stache.
Click to ENLARGE
What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Get lots of compliments on it when out in public.
- What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
Tough to say. I have really gotten nothing, but people saying they like it. Never someone saying they hate it. I have had a few women ask if they could touch it.
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Not really. I think I have always been an attention whore.
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
To me you do it for the same reason as someone with tattoos, weird colored hair or whatever. It gets you some extra attention, but can always be removed if need be.
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I curl it in the morning to get the sides perfect, then wax it with a hard wax. I use a soft wax on the main mustache so it not so stiff.
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Pretty attached at this point. Would be tough to cut it.
- How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
My wife says that it tickles.
- Would you share your location and / or your age?
Cedar Rapids Iowa, 44