Handlebar Moustache Survey by J.T. Hinkle
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I have been growing my handlebar mustache since October 2014. I have been dabbling with different types of facial hair since I was about 18. With little success I may add.
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
The handlebar mustache really fits my looks. I think its class it with a vintage flair. No relatives that I know of have had one but I really hope there is a Hinkle somewhere down then line with a sweet handlebar.
Click to ENLARGE
What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Everyone has been very supportive!!! Maybe a few snickers, and thinking I wouldn’t follow through with it. My lovely supportive wife has been all for it from whisker one, and that surprises many people.
- What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
I haven’t gotten to many strange comments. More strange looks than anything. Children like to stare. It kind of confused the dog though.
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I have a renewed sense of confidence. It really makes me stand out from the crowd. When you have a good well groomed handlebar people remember you! Sometimes you get looks of disgust, but those people wouldn’t know class if it bit them on the nose!
- What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I like to be different but in a classy way. I also am drawn to vintage things and era’s gone by. Also I love the movie Tombstone!
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
No but I would love to!
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
Do it for you!!! And wear it with pride! The naysayers will come around.
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I use Clubman. I also use an eyebrows comb brush combo. But the most helpful tool is a Elmers glue stick. I have really straight hair and it takes a lotta work to get my hair to cooperate.
- What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
A handlebar alone can’t turn you into the most interesting man it the world. It takes attitude, and a good hairstyle to compliment the stache!
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I’m extremely attached at this point. I’m afraid it might require a gun to my head and even then it may take some thought!
- Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
I have a mustache mug and a card game. I really want a license plate frame
- Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
- All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
The stache matches my hair fairly well, when it was first growing it was a little more blond than my hair, so I used a wax with a little color in it. Now that it has gotten longer and thicker it has darkened up nicely.
- What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Some picture contests would be nice!
- How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
My wife loves it! Kissing has taken some work. But where there is a will there is a way!
- What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I work at a sporting goods store. I think it makes me more approachable for customers.
- Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
It gives me the power of hogging the bathroom in the morning trying to get every hair in perfect order!
- Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
CORN ON THE COB!!$!! That has been the only one I can’t figure out a way to eat
- Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
Not but I plan to!!
- What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I like tight curls and a very styled stache. I don’t like hairs poking out everywhere
- Would you share your location and / or your age?
Elizabethton TN. 29