Handlebar Moustache Survey by Harry from Missouri
Harry and his fine moustache.
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve had my handlebar going on a couple months now. I don’t have much history with a moustache.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
I find the moustache comforting. It’s elegant and sleek. What moved me to grow one is the fact that people have been growing them for centuries and when I look back at old tin types it’s takes a true character to grow a moustache.
Click to enlarge
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Others say cut it cause it’s ridiculous but I say let it grow cause you don’t know what he is gonna look like until you try. My girlfriend doesn’t care for it much but it has won her over. She doesn’t mind it anymore.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
People often stare at you, whether it be by standing next to you in line or from a far distance, people stare. I can’t say I don’t do the same. Any and every moustache I see, I stare at it. Size it up. “Is his stache better than mine?” “Who’s handlebar sticks out more?” I can say when I’m walking through a store and I cross paths with a gentlemen who is also sporting a moustache but smaller and obviously not as big they move out of the way.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I can’t say that it has.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
Probably the fact that I’ve always wanted one and the fact that it’s me.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
No not yet but look forward into competing very soon.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
People who generally say that have never grown one themselves or they just simply can’t.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I’ve only ever used one wax and it’s from a gentlemen that lives in New Jersey by the name of Bill who makes his own called ” Harry’s best deluxe moustache wax”. It smells nice and does the job and is a very reasonable price.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Shows that he isn’t afraid of anything. Shows that he is a man and full of testosterone. A man of class.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I love my stache. What would it take to cut it off? Probably when I win the world champion cup in freestyle mustache
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
No except a mustache cup to drink my drinks out of so I don’t get it wet. But they have been around longer than I’ve been alive. I find buying merchandise of things with mustaches on them kind of a trend for those who can’t grow one.
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
Wouldn’t know of any. But all you gotta do is ask google.
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
My mustache is red like my Irish ancestors. I love my color. However it does not match my hair color. I’m not a ginger. I’m Irish! And no future plans into dying moustache
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
All it has changed is the tickling factor when I’m kissing my girlfriend
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I do road maintenance which is laying asphalt. Hasn’t affected anything except the names I get called at work. Everyone calls me Doc. That would be the appropriate one
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
It did yes. It gave me the ability to control my Gnomes
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
No tips. I eat how I want and fix it when I’m done eating
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
Either doc holiday style or mainly the handlebar
22. Would you share your location and / or your age?
Republic, Missouri 26