Handlebar Moustache Survey from Josh of Pennsylvania
Thanks to Josh Updyke for doing the survey! Nice curls.
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I have had this mustache for about six months. I have had several short experiences with growing a mustache but never let it grow over my lip. The initial teasing always made me shave it pretty quick. There was also the sigma that girls did not like guys with mustaches.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache?
My fiancée and I graduated from university at the same time and she had to return to Russia until the paperwork for her visa could be arranged. I decided to shave my beard and keep the mustache while she was away. I figured that it was a good time to goof around. I did not have to worry about the sigma with women and my fiancée would not be around to tell me to shave.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
The initial reactions were not friendly. The typical teasing from friends and family are too be expected. Also, the stereotype that short mustaches are connected to molesters. However, as soon as it got a little longer the jokes became much more pleasant, usually being compared to Burt Reynolds and Tom Selleck. I actually really enjoy the jokes now.
My fiancée sees me on skype and always laughs about it. She twirls her fingers and pretends to be curling an imaginary mustache. I find it really cute.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
I shaved my beard and kept my mustache the day before my fiancée left for Russia. I had been joking about doing it for a few days and she wanted to see it before she left. When I returned from the bathroom her three year old son looked at me and said ‘Mario’. We could not stop laughing. The only person he had ever seen with a mustache was Mario from the Nintendo games.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
When I was younger I would not have had the confidence to break the norms. But when I started working as a bartender I met so many people who enjoyed doing something a littler different. After a few weeks I started getting a lot of compliments. My mustache has been a chance for me to break out.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I have always been drawn to doing something a little different, and growing a mustache is not different. I love making people smile and laugh. I love the reactions that I get from people when they first meet me or see my mustache waxed up for the first time.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
Not yet. I just moved to Pittsburgh and am hoping to find some events here.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
For every person that I hear say something negative I hear someone else tell me it is amazing. I just shrug and tell them I like it. It is a great conversation starter and I have met a lot of women who have started talking to me solely because of the mustache. Once you start getting some positive attention, you won’t care about the negative.
I think the most difficult part is letting your friends and family get used to it. The sudden change can cause a lot of negative comments, but if you wait a few weeks they will get used to it.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I started with Club Men. The smell was a little strong and similar to citrus. I could only get a light color wax locally and it did not match with my dark hair. Also, it did not hold very well and would often only last a few hours.
I switched to Fire House Mustache wax, solely because it was a bunch of firemen with mustaches selling it. I got the dark version and it works much better then clubmen. The smell is more faint an the color matches my natural hair color. If you leave the can in your pocket for a while the wax will be nice and soft to put in, then it will harden up and work really well.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
It will draw a lot of attention to you. For good or bad, you will be noticed. If you are comfortable being the center of attention then it will be good.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I initially planned on shaving it after my fiancée returns. But every day I get more attached. Once it is long enough to style you can start to have fun with it. It does get annoying when eating at times, but you adjust how and what you eat. I miss eating ice cream on the cone, but it is not so bad.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
I have not yet. But I suspect this Christmas will be full of mustache gifts. I am hanging photos of famous mustache people up at work, and I really want to put a mirror with a painted mustache on my door.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?: n/a
14. Have you participated in online events like Moustache May, Movember or others, and what was that like?
I have not yet. But I was thinking of joining the handle bar mustache club from London. But since I am in the U.S. I could not go to any events.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
I love the blog and tips. Keep reviewing products, and giving styling tips. It would also be great if you had a way for local handlebar mustache people to meet and get together.
16. Can you list here some links to online photos of your moustache I can use for this survey if published, or if you don’t have pics online, may I email you so you can send me what you would like to share? (see above)
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, and does it interfere with the act of kissing?
As I said, my fiancée has been away the entire time I have had my mustache. When she returns I will give you an update.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
I have not noticed any super powers yet. But I do have a growing urge to tie a women to railroad tracks and there by out he in distress.
19. Would you share your location?
I just moved to Pittsburgh PA
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well.
“Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
My answer: I would love to try an style it like Wario from super mario bros.
You may enjoy these related posts: