Handlebar Moustache Survey by “El Mustachio”
Let’s hear from El Mustachio!
Click on the image to enlarge.
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I have been a fan of fair hair for as long as I can remember. Before I hit puberty I was almost begging the (metaphorical) “gods” to give me facial hair at an early age. I have now had a handlebar mustache for only about three months this time. I had one before but kept it trimmed short and just lightly curled the ends for fear of not being able to control it.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
I don’t have any relatives that have facial hair but I decided to grow it because I didn’t like how other styles looked on me. Goatee only looked like it was lacking something. Full beard grew in very scraggly and gave me an awkward shape. I decided to grow a mustache and goatee (separate), got annoyed with it because it wasn’t doing what I wanted it to do and then shaved it, grew it, shaved it. This time I am leaving it.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
In the very beginning my mustache looked really funny because it doesn’t grow in consistently. Now that I have it, I get compliments all the time, while I’m working, walking down the street, at restaurants. My significant other loves my mustache, mostly. She said she would support me in growing my mustache as long as I want… IF I keep the hairs above my lip trimmed.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
I was volunteering for an event just last weekend (pouring beer) and I received numerous compliments on my facial hair, questions regarding how I styled it, even a request to bring my local club to a Mustache Appreciation Night (Thursday, August 22nd, 630 pm, Visalia Rawhide Baseball Stadium).
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I believe my personality, and attitude has stayed the same after growing my handlebar, but as far as my self-expression and sense of self, I feel like I am finally comfortable in my own skin, or whiskers.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I have a very classy (no ego), and old fashioned personality. I wear bowties, and three piece suits almost every day of the week since I work as a Funeral Director and Embalmer and I felt that supporting facial hair of any kind would be a good improvement.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
I have not yet had the opportunity to attend any contests or meetings. I just recently found a club in my area and am helping to promote an event as well. I look forward to my first competition.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I like it, it’s my face, and I feel comfortable with it.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I have Fisticuff Mustache Wax and Mr. Kings Marvelous Mustache Wax in my collection which I am currently using to help style and train my whiskers but hope to go more towards the “Natural” side of things once they are a little bit longer.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
I don’t think it does anything for a man. As a man with a mustache, I don’t feel it or really notice it unless it is something specific, like a hair tickling my nose, wiping my mouth, or looking in the mirror. I do feel more comfortable as who I am though.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Now that I have let it grow for a while and I’m starting to get a pretty good curl going on, it would take either a tragic accident or an extremely good cause for me to remove it. I don’t think I could ever be stopped from growing it back.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
I only have one mustache shirt and it is a “Mudville Nine” Baseball shirt I received from my Significant Other for an anniversary present.
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
I am not familiar with other mustache websites but am constantly looking around.
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
I have never died my facial hair, and I would guess there are three distinct colors in my mustache. Primary being dark brown, some light brown and a few blonde hairs sticking straight out.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Proper styling techniques, tips, tricks, suggestions.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
I do have more females hitting on me since I have grown out my handlebar which my own woman is not so happy about. My lady does (kindly) ask me to trim the hairs directly above my lip, so that she can kiss me and not my mustache.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I work in a Mortuary do all the jobs from picking up the dead bodies, preparing the dead bodies, meeting with the families and working the services. I have never had any complaints from a family members and have actually received quite a few compliments from them. My boss has no issue with it since her step father had a large handlebar his whole life. My boss’ only rule for me is “keep it neat”
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Ha ha ha, unfortunately no. As much as my nerdy side would LOVE superpowers, they have yet to appear.
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
My handlebar has not quite reached the size of getting in the way while eating. BUT keeping the upper lip hairs trimmed and only curling the outside whiskers keep the great handlebar look with causing problems.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
One year, shortly after shaving my mustache, I drew in a pencil ‘stache to portray Gomez Addams for Halloween but not since growing it back out.
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
Only have one style, curl the tips.
22. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
What kind of training did you and your handlebar go through to reach its current state?
Are you planning on trimming your handlebar to keep it a certain length or let it grow continuously?
23. Would you share your location and / or your age?
Visalia, Ca – 25 years old
You may enjoy these related posts: