Handlebar Moustache Survey by Tim Stephens
Please Welcome Tim Stephens and is Great Mo.
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I have had a Handlebar for the past year. I have had a moustache ever since I could grow one, only shaving it when I messed up the trimming.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
I cannot grow a beard. It is very patchy. I have loved the Handlebar since I was a kid. So I thought, let’s do it. Not sure about ancestors but a couple months into growing I found out my father grew one for a while. Sadly no pics of that.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Most everyone I come across loves it. They will draw a moustache with their fingers and say that looks really good. For my wife she is the only one that hates it. I do not get any comments from her. She thought it was a phase but now accepts it’s here.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
I guess the strangest comment would be “Is that real?”. My response “Would it not be even more weird if it weren’t?”
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I’m still the same person. But I might stand a little taller just so everyone can see it.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I like the old ways. I feel I’m older than I am. The moustaches of old are truly remarkable.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
No I have not. I need to check a few local clubs and see what they do.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
If I cared what people thought I would not have started growing it.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I like quick fixes so I use your glue stick method. I also use Firehouse dark and Whacky Tacky. I like these for looser curls. I use just a little on the ends to hold all the hairs together. Got2be glued in good as well but takes a little more time to use.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Makes one memorable. Makes one friendlier.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Very attached. I have worked hard to get it to the point it’s at now. Life or death might be what it takes to get it off.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
Yes I got a few candies and some coasters for Christmas, and my uncle just got me a shirt that says Respect the Stache.
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
Sorry I cannot. The only other one I use is The Handlebar Club.com
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
My stache is lighter then the hair on my head. The color ranges from tan to brown. With a couple gray lol. No dyeing I will always be all natural.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
It’s good. very informative.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
Less kissing. More tickling.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I’m a professional carpet cleaner. All of my customers have liked it. Some more than others. I got one of my coworkers to grow a moustache just not a Handlebar. But I don’t see that lasting much longer.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Yes. I can make children whisper and run into things. I can make teenagers cuss.
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
I carry a small towel with me at all times. Smaller bites works. Eat with a fork. But my favorite meal would have to ribs. One looks silly eating ribs with a fork so I have found if you turn the rib over the back side is not as saucy as the top. This way the stache doesn’t get all gummed up.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
I ran a Mudstache 5k race last summer. I put two curls on either side. That’s as far as I’ve taken it.
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I like loose curls with just a little wax on the ends for control or just natural. I will use the glue stick if I want tighter curls.
22. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well:
“What or who was you inspiration for growing you moustache?”
I truly believe mine came from seeing A Handlebar when I was little. I can really remember who it was but the face that comes to mind is Dennis Gage (My Classic Car).
23. Would you share your location and / or your age?
You may enjoy these related posts: