Handlebar Moustache Survey by Stu Morse of England
Please welcome Stu Morse and his fine Handlebar Moustache
Click to enlarge the photo.
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’m 8 months in after my second year of Movember. Before that I was bearded in many different styles
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
I just liked the look of it and let’s face it, it’s what all moustaches should be.
2013 – Click to ENLARGE
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Due to Movember I got a lot of support but being blond it took a long time for there to be any apparent growth so it was tough to stick it out.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
I have been called Pringles man, Mario, and that I look like Tamil King.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Stu as of Sept 2015 – Click to ENLARGE
Essentially no, I am not one that has become nostalgic and adopted a vintage lifestyle but I have pushed the boundaries with things like shoes and a sharper dress sense. I think I always wanted to dress this way but the moustache has been a vehicle to allow it.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I don’t really know, I’ve had ridiculous beards so I guess it comes from that. I like to see how far I can take things but I’m not for jumping out of planes or swimming with crocodiles, a handlebar is a safer way to push boundaries.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
Not yet but plan to.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I tend not to listen. People are entitled to their opinion. However if they are nasty then I say “My mum said, if you don’t have anything nice to say then say nothing”.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I use lanolin in the form of breastfeeding nipple cream, I prefer the natural look. I have used fat jacks tash wax and panhaglions wax and have just purchased some got to be glued
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
I think the grooming time allows time for yourself and the journey of growing and accepting to use what you have rather than try to force things is a life lesson that many people could use. I think the handlebar makes us more content.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Well, it’s fully attached to me of course, but I don’t really know if I would shave i off. Only if I had a tragic shaving accident would I consider removing it.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
Not yet but I am always looking, just never made the purchase.
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
shameless plug www.hirsuteforhappiness.com
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
I’m a natural blonde in the moustache and eyebrow department, but my head hair is light brown. In the moustache I have the odd dark hair but it is mostly blond.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
I like what I see already, great site.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
Not a great deal of impact, kissing is rude P
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I work in a school, I get mostly positive comments and staff and students on the whole as positive questions or make nice comments.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
yes, I can pull out in traffic with a big smile and people do not get angry. I also managed to get some freebies in a bar and barbers.
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
I think smaller bites and heavy preparation by pushing the hairs back hard helps. Learning to eat things like apples is tough but not too bad.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
Yes, tonight I did the walrus and when I shaved my beard off I managed a number of funny styles.
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
Definitely natural, I do curl occasionally but I’m not a show pony.
22. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well .
What advice would you give to someone in the early stages?
A. don’t focus on the tips, grow from the middle and do not trim
23. Would you share your location and / or your age?
Southend on Sea, UK
You may enjoy these related posts: