Handlebar Moustache Survey by Stefan of Sweden
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve had a handlebar moustache for a little over one year now.
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
Click to ENLARGE
My great grandfather on my father’s side had a nice moustache but I wasn’t inspired by him really. I started growing out my beard in December 2013 and in the spring I got tired of it and trimmed it down – but kept the moustache long. I liked the look and so did others.
- What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
My wife liked it better after I trimmed my beard. She likes the moustache but prefers a little stubble on my cheeks. Others haven’t really shared their opinions that much. I get do compliments every now and then – mostly from strangers. Friends and family have gotten used to my look.
- What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
I haven’t had any strange comments really. The guys at my local pizza restaurant call me “Mustacho”. Some strangers on the street have given me thumbs up. Most guys say it looks cool.
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I am more aware of how I dress and I always try to keep the moustache styled and neat when I’m in public. Wearing sloppy clothes doesn’t go well with the moustache if you want to be taken seriously.
- What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I don’t know really. I used to be a shy kid and maybe I wanted to break out of that as I grow older. I like being a little different and stand out from the crowd now.
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
No, I have not.
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I tell them their hairstyle looks stupid.
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I make my own wax but I also use Capt. Fawcett, Clubman, Damn Good Soap Co, and lots of others. I write reviews for a webshop that sells beard- and moustache grooming products and they send me products to review.
- What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
It expresses individuality and self-confidence. It looks cool, a little odd maybe but in a good way. I think it all comes down to how you dress and behave after all.
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I have gotten pretty attached to it. If my family told me they hate it and begged me to shave it or trim it I would do it but I wouldn’t be very happy to do so. Other than that I really don’t know.
- Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
I have a few old moustache cups and mugs that I use at home for my coffee. My wife have bought me some funny moustache related items as well.
- Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
The Handlebar forum and Handlebar Hellions on Facebook.
- All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
It is basically the same colour as the hair on my head. The moustache has a few gray and white hairs though.
- What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Historical articles are fun. Grooming tips and product reviews maybe.
- How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
- What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
At the moment I work in an office. I don’t know if I’ve made much of an impact on my coworkers.
- Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Well, it doesn’t make me invisible, that’s for sure.
- Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
Sloppy food is difficult to eat. Hot dog with lots of stuff etc. I use a lot of napkins and try to take small bites. I use a knife and fork as often as I can even for finger food.
- Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
- What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I mostly style it classical with big curls. Sometimes straight out – English style.
- Would you share your location and / or your age?
Sweden – 36 years old