Handlebar Moustache Survey by Site Owner Eric Tischler
So I finally get around to doing my own survey.
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve had a moustache of some sort most of the time since I was 21 years old. I grew my first handlebar some 25 years ago but only kept it for about 9 months. I grew this one beginning July 2010.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache?
I wanted to see what it would do, sort of to explore new territory if appearances. there’s not a lot a guy can do to change his looks, and my beard is only good for a goatee, which I have had of and on over the years.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
One friend insisted I cut it off, but most friends and coworkers have all been pretty positive about it – or just silent. Hmm.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
Some teen age girls said the strangest thing, “He has a squirrel on his face!” and a friend of mine said “Your face is a moustache paradise.” That blew me away.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
It has brought me out of my shell, helped me develop confidence and self-expression, as well as shed more of my remaining petty judgments of other people’s unconventional appearances.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I like to be nonconformist and press the boundaries of social opinion to some degree. In high school I got picked on a lot and my handlebar moustache has given me opportunity to push past concern over the opinions of others.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
Yes, I won first prize at the Moustachio Bashio in November of 2011 at the Silverton Resort in Las Vegas, and look forward to the National Beard and Moustache Championships here in November 2012.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
To each his own. Everyone has an opinion, but judgment is ugly.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I use Got2b Glued and glue stick mostly as they give me more options than regular wax and they wash out pretty easily. They are good for a dry climate. If I move to a more humid or wet climate I would have to experiment more with waxes, of which I have tried only three.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Adds distinctiveness and rare style. It displays his flare, creativity and individuality. With a handlebar moustache you don’t just blend in, but are remembered.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I would feel like a bird without wings without my hbmo. Sometimes I feel a bit dependent on it because it has added so much to my life, but I can’t say I could come up with a reason to remove it forever. Forever is a long time.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
I have not. I’m afraid to start collecting things for fear that others will start giving me stuff like it.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
handlebarclubforum.org and http://www.handlebarclub.co.uk
14. Have you participated in online events like Moustache May, Movember or others, and what was that like?
Missed Moustache May and Movember is for growing a mo when you didn’t already have one. Moustache May looked like it would be fun but in 2012 they didn’t use the regular web site and I couldn’t get excited about it being hosted on flickr.com
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
More articles than surveys! (and as it’s my web site that is my fault. I have lots of drafts I need to finish).
16. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I work in a call center and my mo has helped expand my friendships and visibility there. It has been well received.
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, and does it interfere with the act of kissing?
Has not harmed or improved it.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Actually, it neutralizes my power of invisiblity. A handlebar moustache really gets you noticed.
19. Would you share your location?
Las Vegas, Nevada
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
I made up all the above questions, don’t make me do more work!
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
I do that now and then on work days just for fun.
You may enjoy these related posts: