Handlebar Moustache Survey by Sergeant Stache
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
End of 2013. Started with Mo’vember. I was in the Marines for a while, and cool moustaches were not allowed.
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
I thought I would just see if I had what it takes to grow a good stache. Yes, I had a great great grandfather who had a very impressive moustache.
- What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Initial laughs, but now friends say… I can’t imagine you with out it. Only you could pull it off.
Wife loves it! I think my wife loves it more than I do.
- What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
None for me, but others think only “real men” can grow stache’s.
- What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
Unique. Different. The Few the Proud.
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
Recently went to US moustache event in Portland. I didn’t participate, because I wanted to see how much was showmanship; I would say 90% is all in stage presence.
If you wanna win, find yourself a good costume, and get into character.
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
So is your Mom… I know you are but what am I? Hello!
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I’ve used clubman (sucks). Firehouse (ok, but no ingredients), Bounders (to dry and flakey, and not good with a lot of hair, it just gets super hard).
Honestly, I’m not here to promote anything, but I made my own, “Sergeant Stache”. I have two flavors, Hops, and Bourbon and Smoke. I use the hops scented.
- What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Hmm, I would cut it off, however, I go back and look at photos without it and wonder… man I would look stupid, so I guess I’m stuck with it for a while.
- Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
My wife bought me a silver Victorian moustache comb, with abalone (sort of like pocket knife), but I freaking lost it… I loved that comb, but no, I don’t collect moustache merchandise.
- Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
I don’t know of any.
- All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
Same, maybe a bit more amber in the stache, some of the Scottish / Irish lineages I guess.
- What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Just found it yesterday, I don’t know yet.
- How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
Wife loves it, and won’t let me shave it off
- What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I’m a Software Engineer / Web Developer, and it doesn’t impact work.
- Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
It’s helped my golf game, I use it as a guide to how high or low I hit the ball.
- Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
Do NOT do the bone in Hot wing challenge at BW3’s, you’ll end up in the bath room washing your stache and it will be all jacked up, however hot sauce does make a nice wax (to your previous question :))
- What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I like a slight curl up, I’m not big on the big curls or the complete circles at the end. I keep it trimmed so I never deal with long curls.
- Would you share your location and / or your age?
Columbus, Ohio / 45