Handlebar Moustache Survey by Scott Berryman of the UK
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I had always admired moustaches as a child, and a few years ago caught wind of the Movember charity so decided to participate. On the third year I took the plunge and didn’t shave it off when December rolled around. One year later and it still grows strong.
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
Click to Enlarge
Much to my chagrin none of my relatives that I know have sported a Handlebar Moustache. After my initial moustache took form, I decided to keep going for a Handlebar.
- What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
My good lady is far from a fan, and neither are the higher ups at work! But my friends have been very supportive and are certainly fans.
- What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
I can’t say that I’ve had any comment memorable enough for me to recall. In time I hope.
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Moustache maketh man. I’ve noticed a marked improvement in my self-confidence since I grew my moustache. I don’t know how but it has instilled a certain sense of pride in me.
- What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I think I just wanted something to set me apart from others. Every man should have his signature, and mine is my moustache. A great many of my heroes also sported a good moustache, a fine example being Surgeon General Sir Owen Pennefather Lloyd. (A real person, google image search him) So I had a small desire to emulate them in this way.
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
I have not; I don’t think it is nearly as good as the beautiful moustaches I’ve seen sported at them.
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
Never have I ever had a moustachioed man take issue with it, so I would suggest that they put aside their jealousy.
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I use Veerappan wax and a Kent comb. I have however been recommended Swagger and Jacks wax and shall be getting a tin of it soon.
- What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
As I said earlier, moustache maketh man. It adds a certain authority and masculinity to a man. I’d sooner trust a man with a moustache than without!
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
It will be a cold day in hell before I remove it. (Work have ordered me to multiple times) However I could lose the curls temporarily for the right reason.
- Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
My girlfriend bought me a fantastic moustache mug to protect it, but other than that I let it speak for itself.
- Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
- All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
I used a coloured wax in its early days when it wasn’t grown in properly, but it is all natural now.
- What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Perhaps famous men with moustaches?
- How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
The lady preceded the moustache, so none there. Although it does tickle her when we kiss. I have had a few women enamored by it, but I wouldn’t dream of playing the field.
- What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I am an Army medic, and the hierarchy are not fans to say the least. They initially ordered me to shave it off, but when they realised I would not (and that Queens Regulations meant I was entitled to it) they just asked that I do not wax it at work. So it does look at bit worse for wear sometimes.
Everyone else however seems to enjoy the novelty of it, they aren’t in abundance here! (Maybe two out of the 1,500 on camp)
- Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
- Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
I have managed to get sauce in it on occasion. Although I am a bit naughty and enjoy getting the froth from a pint in it and savouring it for a few more seconds.
- Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
I have not, but I would certainly be tempted.
- What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I just wax the ends into curls, simplicity for me.
- Would you share your location and / or your age?
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, 25.