Handlebar Moustache Survey by Sam Burgess of Minneapolis
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I shaved down to just a moustache on April 1 2012. Never really had just a moustache before now.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
I really wanted to try it at least once in my life, It also was as a joke to my manager at work since I grew a better handlebar in 3 months than he did in 3 years. From what I’ve seen no one in my family has had a handlebar.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
I never really got comments while I was growing it out since I had about an inch of growth to start with I could start curling as soon as I shaved the rest of the beard.
Don’t have a significant other atm so no problems there.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
Most people say things like ‘Love the ‘Stache,’ and ‘Dude, that’s awesome.’
The best comment I got was “Is that your real moustache? Why you do that?”
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
It has definitely made me a bit more outgoing since so many people comment on it and a few even want pictures with me.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I hate how I look without any facial hair so going with just a moustache was hard at first. Other than that I enjoy the old-timey look, it goes well with my classic car.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
Not yet… But… SOON!
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I smile and laugh and tell them it keeps the days interesting
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I primarily use the purple washable Elmers glue stick and a nail to curl it. Wax doesn’t hold a curl for me but I have been known to use Clubman wax every now and again
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
It gives him the power to draw attention without having to act stupid or obscene.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I still love having it and would probably only shave if my boss told me it was the ‘stache or the job, which he won’t since he used to have one.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
None yet, but I probably will as time goes on.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
Just this one.
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Pepper’n’Salt? Ginger? A bit of everything? Do you like it? Have you ever dyed it?
Mostly red but the brown overpowers it so you can’t really tell and it makes it match my hair more than a solid ginger moustache would.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
Haven’t had a girlfriend since I started, but I keep meeting women who say “Let me take a picture so I can send it to my sister, she loves crazy moustaches.” Alas, I never get introduced to any of said women.
16. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I am in technology sales and it actually helps my overall numbers during the day since I am so recognizable that I get plenty of repeat customers. I also get people who just want to be helped by the “guy with the crazy moustache” as I am referred to by some co-workers.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
It gives me and my steampunk alter-ego Baron Von Goggle-Hat the ability to draw attention from people who are usually the center of attention.
19. Would you share your location?
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
I got nothing.
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
Every so often I wax my moustache straight out so it sticks out a half inch past my ears… people call me Luigi when I do that.
You may enjoy these related posts: