Handlebar Moustache Survey by Rick H of Orlando
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve had a lip beast of the handlebar persuasion for a little over a month now. I’ve had some form of stache for the last 16 years or so.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
It was a bit of an accident. I moved down to the Orlando area from Chicago, and did not realize that my trimmers were left behind, and would not make it until the next run. So instead of having it shipped down, or buying a replacement unit, I decided to grow it out. During this process, I was watching a few episodes of Whisker Wars, and I figured “why not?”
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
At first, since I was starting with a head start stache already in place, and I was not well known in my new town, not many took notice. This all changed once I acquired some wax, and began styling it properly. I have to say that the overwhelming reactions were positive.
My partner was initially a bit taken aback, but shortly came to the realization that my new handlebar upped my attitude, and my positivity overall.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
My best comment was just last week. A girl that I rehearse with for our upcoming holiday show said “it really figures that a guy that rides such a badass Harley, would have such a badass moustache!” Can’t say that it felt bad. Haha!
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
All of the above. I’ve never been one to be shy, or unassuming, but the positive attention from perfect strangers out and about town really has made me feel even more centered, outgoing, and gregarious.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I’ve never been one to let society tell me how to act, or what to wear, and that includes what I wear on my upper lip. Or should I say what wears me?
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
Not yet, but I’ve been researching local events, and hope to attend Orlando’s Movember Bash in short order. In the long run, I’m looking to form a facial hair social group here eventually.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
To those I don’t know well, I would normally not even give them the consideration. Why allow strangers to determine how you live your life?
To those close to me, by now they’re aware that I am not me to be put off by negative looks, or comments. I think they realize what a positive road this has been for me.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
So far, I’ve tried Clubman Wax, American Crew’s Forming Cream, and Got2B Glued. For my hair type, and styling needs, the Got2B Glued has been a godsend. It holds by naturally wavy whiskers, without giving it the stiff, unnatural feel that wax delivered. Huge fan!
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
I think that it can bring out an inner confidence, and natural manliness that perhaps was waiting to burst out. I recommend that every man give it a shot at least once just to have that adventure, and see where it brings them.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I’m fairly obsessed with it currently, along with the surrounding community which I’ve found to be supportive, funny, and quite excellent. Shout out to my Brothers in Stache at Handlebar Club Forums!
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
Nothing currently, but my sister has informed me that I have a “Great Moustache/Great Responsibility” t-shirt coming for Christmas!
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
Huge fan of the aforementioned Handlebar Club Forums, the Tumblr Handlebar tagged pages, and of course this site which has been extremely helpful.
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
Let’s see, it’s close, but with a few more colors (tinges of auburn, blonde, and darker brown). I love the color, and I’ve never dyed it.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
I love the content, and my only suggestion would be a bit more organization as sometimes I find it difficult to find something I’ve read/watched earlier. Fantastic site!
16. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
Been partnered for over 16 years, and it’s only been a good experience allowing the true handlebar to come out.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
I find that it gives me the Power to Accept Random Compliments with Panache.
19. Would you share your location?
The Orlando, Florida area.
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
Who are your Moustache Inspirations, specifically who aided you in finally saying “Yes” to the stache?
Strangely enough, it was a Google search while being without my trimmers (as mentioned earlier), that brought me to JasonPC’s survey here. His stache photo showed my how well a handlebar can sit on a man’s face, and really suit him. That made this journey one I had to undertake.
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
Not yet, but I hope to go as either Green Arrow, or Fandral the Dashing from Thor (Google him) at next years’s Megacon comic and scifi convention in Orlando!
You may enjoy these related posts: