Handlebar Moustache Survey by Ray Barrera of Long Beach CA
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve had a handlebar moustache for about 3 years now. At first I began growing the moustache since I was not allowed to have any other type of facial hair due to a promotion at work. As soon as the moustache grew longer, I began noticing that I could possibly get some curls growing.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
As far as I know, no one in my family has had a handlebar moustache.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
At first it’s the classic “shave that off” “you look like a dirty old man” from family and friends, but when it came to my gf (now wife) she was very supportive and likes it.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
I just recently had a guy ask me if I could pose for a picture for his son and he wanted me to do an evil face….that was a bit odd.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Probably my sense of self has taken a turn for the best. I didn’t really care what I looked like or what people thought of my looks. Now, the attention is greater so I try to care a bit more of what the stache is looking like on a daily basis.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
The fact that I can grow a moustache has some sort of wicked power. It’s awesome knowing that not everyone can sport a handlebar moustache and look good while doing it.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
Sadly, I have not…yet.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
At the beginning get used to some weird stares. It’s all worth it when the moustache takes shape.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
Right now I’m using “Hndlebars Moustache Wax” I did some research and decided to try this one since the description read that it had a citrus scent to it. It’s worked great. Moustache stays in shape all day long.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Way too attached to it for me to even consider cutting it.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
I personally have not purchased any moustache related memorabilia, but I have received a whole bunch of stuff like mugs, shirts, key holders, books and what not.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
Definitely your website www.handlebarmoustachelife.com is a must
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Pepper’n’Salt? Ginger? A bit of everything? Do you like it? Have you ever dyed it?
Pitch black!. I’ve even been asked if I color my moustache because it’s really dark. and no, I don’t color it!
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Maybe a section of tips and tricks for the handlebar curl!
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
When the curls are really nice, I dare not even mess with the possibility of getting them messed up, so one must be careful. Kissing on the cheek can be challenging, but mouth is perfectly fine. Wife loves it.
16. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I work for a customs broker and coworkers seem to be ok with it.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
It attracts the attention of those wanting to grow one and those who love a fine moustache.
19. Would you share your location?
Long Beach, CA.
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
Is there a moustache app? If not, there should be!
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
I tried pulling off a Dali style….went fine.
You may enjoy these related posts: