Handlebar Moustache Survey by Phil the Silversmith
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
About 10 months. I started growing a moustache by accident when my electric shaver broke on holiday and my facial hair only grows around my mouth so I soon trimmed a lot away and left just the basics of a moustache and “chin beard” and the rest is history!
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
Click to ENLARGE
I didn’t really mean to!
- What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
I get a lot of people saying how good it looks and a couple of close members of family regularly telling me they want to cut off my graspable extremities!
- What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, and sense of self?
I don’t think so as I’m already a craftsman/artist, so I was already expressing myself more than many!
- What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
Being artistic, I suppose.
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
Nope, not yet.
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
Grow one or grow a pair.
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
A good old-fashioned blow dry and a little wax on the tips. I’m currently trying a few, so couldn’t advise one in particular but it has to have strong hold.
- What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Gives you confidence and a memorable face.
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I recon £10k would probably do it.
- Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
- Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
The handlebar club forum
- All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
It’s pretty much the same color as my hair, perhaps a tiny bit lighter. I haven’t died it yet, but I’d be tempted by purple!
- What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Reviews of more products. Different people storied and experiences with hb moustache.
- How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
My wife wouldn’t kiss me at first, but she’s got used to it!
- What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I’m a silversmith and I think my moustache suits the trade quite well. My students wouldn’t let me shave it off when I threatened!
- Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
None that I’ve found yet.
- Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
Not really, I just wax it a bit more if I find it’s in the way.
- Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
It’s fairly tightly curled at times, but nothing more.
- What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I like body above the lip and a good half curl at the extremities.
- Would you share your location and / or your age?
Leicester, UK. 29