Handlebar Moustache Survey by Patrick O’Brien of RI
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I have had a moustache for over 20 plus years growing my first one while in the service. Had to request permission at the time from someone in the command to grow one.
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
After getting out of the service someone was joking with me about handlebar moustaches, so I grew one and that is history. I have shaved it in those last 15 years only twice in support of prostate cancer. No one in the family that I know of has had a handlebar stash.
- What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Click to ENLARGE
Most love it, most older people say it reminds they of a different time when things were simple. At least several times a day someone will comment on how they love it.
- What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
I was getting ice cream this summer and while standing in line this young girl turns and ask me what the large handlebar moustache that is on my truck grill is about. Looking back at her I say to her ask me that question again. She looks right at me again and says mister why is there a large handlebar moustache on your truck? Then she says oh sorry I get it now. My daughter loves it so she bought a large one for the front on my pick up truck.
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
- What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
They just wish they could grow one, so one day when they grow up they may
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
Like to use a medium wax on the center of the moustache so to not feel stiff and on the ends I like clubman or a wax like that to keep it tight so after wearing my mask at a fire I still look good because it holds up really well
- What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Makes them stand out above the rest
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
After coming down with prostate cancers that is all it took to shave it one November. I would have people pay me not to shave it these days
- Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
I do not have to buy that stuff it is just given to me by friends. I wish 15 or so years ago I started making stuff because there are handlebar mustache stuff all over the place these days
- Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
- All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
Gray is gray. I have gray white red and brown in the stach just like the head. Never would thing about dying it
- What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
- How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
Sometimes thing the wife doesn’t like it but she has gotten use to it
- What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I am a Fire Captain and it brings out the old school firefighter in me.
- Would you share your location and / or your age?
Rhode Island, 45