Handlebar Moustache Survey by Papa ‘Stache of Salt Lake City
Click the image to enlarge
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I started a handlebar moustache in Jan 2013 and due to a careless nurse (she cut the curl off of my left stach while removing tape from my face after having my left shoulder operated on. My current handlebar mo has been growing for 4 months. I’ve always had a moustache since completing Army Basic Training in 1975. I don’t think my kids have ever seen me with a naked face and my oldest is 32.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
Just wanted to be unique and stand out from every other moustached guy out there.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
The Mother-in-law always threatens to cut my curls off. The Ladies smile and the Gents ask why. My answer to them is “Because I’m bald on top and gotta grow something that the Mrs. can run her fingers through.
My wife is the type that loves the ‘stach. In fact she has told me that IF I ever shave it off, she won’t talk to me until I grow it back.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
I was at the local Lawn and Garden Center and one of the Associates came up to me and asked “What do you feed your moustache”? It turns out that when he tries to grow his moustache it’s thin and sparse. I was at the local Hispanic market and the Cashier started to giggle when she saw me. When I asked her what was so funny, she said that I reminded her of her grandfather and his handlebar ‘stach.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Nope, I’m pretty much that same guy when I had a “trimmed and proper” ‘stach.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I’ve been told that I’m very outgoing and confident and the handlebar ‘stach just emphasizes those facts.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
To each their own, but then who am I to judge about their appearance.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
Still looking for the perfect wax. Tried Pinaud Clubman with some degree of success. Have some Harry’s Moustache Wax ordered and will give that a try. In a pinch I’ve used UHU glue sticks, but my son’s pit bull tries to lick the ‘stach because the glue has a sweet taste to it.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Shows the world that he is confident and comfortable in his surroundings.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Ummm. . . .ONE MILLON Dollars.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
Just a favorite lidded coffee mug and a moustache comb.
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
The Handlebar Club
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
What hair I have on my head is grey and brown -with more grey than brown and the moustache is a close match. I’m happy with the way it looks and I’ve never colored it nor do I plan to.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Haven’t looked around the site much so I can’t really answer this question right now.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
The Mrs. loves it and she’s the only woman I go out with and it doesn’t stop her from kissing me. When I kept it trimmed she complained that it was prickly and since I started growing the handlebar she says it tickles.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I’m a Security Supervisor for a large corporation, What customers I do deal with haven’t said anything, my coworkers both have ‘staches, and my superiors have moustaches as well their only comment is not to let the handlebar get too extreme.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
I’m a kilt wearer and it seems to draw women to me much like a moth to light. I’m finding that the handlebar moustache is having the same effect.
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
Like it has been stated by other posters-keep plenty of napkins handy. If you like to chew bubble gum and you’re a bubble blower, keep a jar of peanut butter or olive oil handy, the oils will do a great job in removing gum from the ‘stache hairs.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
For day-to-day wear, I keep it wooly and natural with wax on the tips to form some curl. I only wax the whole ‘stache when I take the Mrs. out.
22. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well:
Have you been given a nickname because of your handlebar moustache?
My granddaughter calls both of her gandpas’ Papa which confuses my daughter because she has no idea which grandpa her daughter is talking about. So my daughter asks her Papa or Papa with the moustache? So now my granddaughter just calls me Papa ‘stache.
23. Would you share your location and / or your age?
Salt Lake City, Utah / 57
You may enjoy these related posts: