Handlebar Moustache Survey by Normski in Korea
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
Always enjoyed them, feeling it is my privilege as a man to delight in my facial hair. The current incarnation is 7 months.
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
Click to ENLARGE
My dad did have a proper handlebar in pictures of me when I was very young. My grandad had beards and moustaches and always enjoyed them.
- What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
My girlfriend gave me permission this time for the long haul. That means no trimming for a year, on beard or moustache, with the exception of any random fly-away hair, which can usually be managed by other means.
People have always thought my facial hair was creative and interesting, with the exception of my mum, who can only see me as a tiny little lad.
- What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
“Isn’t that hot in the summer?” No, it cools the face and wicks sweat away from the skin, so it’s perfect for the summer.
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
It suits my slightly aggressive but very kind and cheerful personality.
- What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
It is just nature, and my right as a man.
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
I would love to, but I live in Korea…
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
It’s very hard to take any criticism seriously, especially if it comes from a woman, or someone who is unable to grow a proper moustache himself.
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
Mr King’s Marvellous Moustache Wax is my favourite. I also like FOAD Wax, and some unique wax a bought in a pleasant shop in London.
- What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Allows him to enjoy himself.
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I have had them come and go for many years. This time, I will see how I feel after a year.
- Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
- Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
I just use Google, when I want to know something.
- All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
Colour match is fine. I would like to have more colour variety in my hair, but I’ll have to settle for dark brown with a few greys.
- What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
- How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
My last handlebar was impossible, but this time I approached wearing it differently. Yes, it gets in everything, but it is manageable. I tend to wax my moustache a bit before sex!
- What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I have a job interview for an Assistant Professor’s job on Friday at a top 10 ranked uni in Korea, so we will see.
- Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
- Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
I can manage. It comes with commitment to the moustache.
- Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
Not really. I like curls, but they don’t stay in for long enough…
- What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I tend to go with manageable, which means a little Dax wax, combing it out to the sides, then down and across in the middle. It is very pleasing. I save the bigger efforts for more interesting occasions than every-day life/work.
- Would you share your location and / or your age?