Handlebar Moustache Survey by Nathan of Wyoming
Nathan Does the Survey!
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
This particular handlebar has been growing for 15 months. I have been growing them off and on for the last 4.5 years but this is the longest I have let it grow.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
Well I think it was more what has motivated me to not grow it out. The first couple times I would wake up each day looking for a reason to cut it off and every day I couldn’t find one so on it grew. My father has had a moustache (never with appendages that I know of) for about as long as anyone can remember (and longer than most people have known him) and other members of my family have sported moustaches as well.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
I have got a lot of whys as I was growing it out. Once it gets to a certain point though it becomes black and white. I either get disbelief that someone (much less someone my age) would grown one out, or praise and longing. I started growing it out in between significant others.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
“I moustache you a question?” is one I am all too familiar with and far too many people ask if it is real which I attribute to it looking too good to be real.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Oh I have learned just how awesome I am from all the people that come up and tell me now. Didn’t get that a lot before I started growing it out. I became a lot more confident about not caring about negative things said about it and instead just learning to rock it.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
My ability to shed the social norm and walk my own path.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
I have not, but I still have time…
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I have been making my own wax for a few years now and I am starting to nail down a formula that I like. I have a hard time finding something soft enough to work in without pulling hairs yet is stiff enough to last all day. (I am sure there is joke in there somewhere…)
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
The real question is what a handlebar moustache doesn’t do for a man…
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
At this point I am pretty attached to it. I am debating doing a shave for charity but if that happens, it will grow back.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
I have not.
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
Nothing that hasn’t already been recommended
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
Not at all. Blond (summer time) to light brown (winter) hair and red facial hair. Though there is an undercoat of blond in there as well.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
More of the same (You can never have too much of a good thing)
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
Probably. I have met a number of women who absolutely abhor it. But also I have met a lot of women only because of it. Women are usually a little skeptical about it at first but it’s pretty easy to keep things under control. I never have had someone complain about kissing me at least.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I am an engineer. Luckily it means that they don’t really care what I do with my moustache as long as it doesn’t droop below the corners of the lips. Not quite sure they were ready for my loophole. Most of my coworkers and superiors don’t seem to care either way so, no problems there.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
The power to summon people from across a crowded room.
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
Never. I am extremely fortunate that it tames quickly and decisively. The super awkward stage where it is in the way is only a couple days for me and if I do happen to get a couple invaders that is why I carry wax.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
Occasionally I will style it in a Dali to have some fun with people. Last Halloween I went as Snidely Whiplash so does that count?
22. Would you share your location and / or your age?
Wyoming / 26 years
You may enjoy these related posts: