Handlebar Moustache Survey by Mike of Tennessee
Click to enlarge the picture.
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve worn a handlebar stache for about 18 months now. Previously, I grew a mustache as part of a Van Dyke.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
I got into Steampunk cosplay for a while, though ironically, I was bald-faced at the time. The handlebar grew out of the love of that aesthetic.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Ladies love it. It is weird. I get comments about it at the grocery store, the bank or wherever I’m at. My wife notices other women checking it out. A couple of times, guys have gotten very vocal about their appreciation, but it’s more based on the time/commitment than the way it looks.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
A guy in the drive through at McDonald’s said my stache was “epic.”
A man with a ginger beard in an office supply store said it was “a bad ass mustache.”
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I don’t really notice it. I go about my life as I did before. After a while, the novelty wears off and it’s just me and not me with a stache.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
If I could, I’d sport a full beard, too, but I can’t grow sideburns. So, an elaborate stache makes me happy.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I can shave it off, but you’re still stupid.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I like a good, stiff hold. Today, I’m using Cedar Hill Farms, which does the trick, but I rarely buy the same wax twice. I like the packaging, so I buy whatever and try it to see if I like it.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Makes them man-squared.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I think about cutting it off all the time, but I never do it. I don’t know what that means for the future.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
I received a couple of tshirts as gifts and my wife gave me some wax for Christmas.
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
I’m bald, so there is no match. My stache is mostly brown with a great deal of red and blonde, too. I like the color and have never dyed it.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
I’m married and my wife likes it. So no problem there. I wax it off my lip, so it doesn’t interfere with much of anything.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I’m a school administrator and here in Appalachia men grow their facial hair out. It’s not a problem.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Other than making me dead sexy?
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
Last week, I went out for my birthday having not waxed that day. I ordered baby back ribs (birthday, again). For the first time, I took them home to eat because I was so embarrassed by how much sauce was getting all over my stache.
I suggest waxing it so it stays off your mouth.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I like tight curls on the ends, but I occasionally stretch it out in the English fashion. I find it takes a lot of work to get it to curl again after I do that.
23. Would you share your location and / or your age?
Greeneville, Tenn. / 45