Handlebar Moustache Survey by Michiganboy
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
My handlebar moustache comes and goes each year. I usually start growing one at the beginning of October, and it usually lasts till spring time, when I shave it off.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
No one in my family has a handlebar, and not sure if any ancestors had one. I was actually “Dared” to grow a handlebar by a coworker, while at work. I took him up on the dare, and was glad I did, ‘cause I absolutely love it, and love to make people smile.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
The reactions from others were very positive, mainly with men. Women, on the other hand, did not tend to care for it at all. Occasionally a female would come along and appreciate it. My wife however, does NOT care for it, but she tolerates it.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
Oh, I get the occasional “Snidely Whiplash,” and “Monopoly Man” comment, but usually I get the “That moustache is awesome!” comment.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I do tend to notice people stare a bit, and do double-takes when they first look at me. And I either see them look away real fast with a snicker on their faces, or they are caught, and probably feel the need to comment on it. Wearing one has definitely made me feel more confident with myself, and enables me to have stronger character.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I mainly just wanted to say that in my life time, I once grew a handlebar moustache. Now, it’s definitely a part of my everyday/year life.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
Have never participated in any moustache contests, but would LOVE to.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I would say that when I’m getting ready for the day, and am styling my moustache, that I’m not thinking about them while in the process. They do have a right to their opinion, but advise them to keep their negative comments to themselves.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I’ve used Hndlebars wax, Firehouse (Dark and Wacky Tacky), and Got2B Glued. I prefer the Got2B glued, due to its massively strong hold. It allows me to not have to think about what it looks like all the time, and I don’t have to keep touching it up throughout the day, as its hold is VERY good.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
I think that wearing a handlebar says something about a man who wears one. It says that he is proud of who he is, and doesn’t feel the need to please others by dressing and/or looking a certain way. It’s a form of self-expression.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I get pretty attached to it when I grow it. But I can honestly say that when spring time comes and I shave it off, I enjoy getting out of the bathroom sooner and not having to worry about styling it. So I guess I would say that I’m not so attached to it that it consumes my way of life. I can have one, and I am also fine without having one.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
I have a couple of moustache shirts that I love to wear, especially when I’m sporting the stache!
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
My moustache is kind of a reddish-brown, and I have blonde eyebrows, so it’s kinda weird, lol. I AM bald, so I don’t have to worry about matching my head-hair.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
Having this stache does affect kissing, as it’s less desirable for the wife. Like I said before, she tolerates it, and occasionally comments about her dislike when kissing, but all in all, it’s ok.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I am a police officer. I usually get great, positive comments on the stache while dealing with people. I’m actually “known” in my city for being the officer with the big handlebar moustache. I kinda like that, it sets me apart. Never had a negative comment while on duty. I think my supervisor’s like it, which is probably why I’m able to wear it. As long as it’s styled nicely, and is presentable, then it’s a go!
19. Would you share your location?
The great state of MICHIGAN!!!!!
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
You may enjoy these related posts: