Handlebar Moustache Survey by Matthew Skeen, Jr.
Welcome to Matthew Skeen, Jr. and his Handlebar Moustache.
Click image to enlarge it.
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I have had a handlebar mustache for about 8 months now. Before that I had a pretty burly mustache without handles for about 2 years.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
I first grew a mustache because of my son. When he was born I still felt like a kid, the mustache made me feel more fatherly. My father had a mustache when I was kid, maybe that’s the reason. Nobody had the handlebar.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
My wife is skeptical. She’s from Korea though, so she dismisses it as just another thing her crazy American husband does as part of his crazy culture.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
When I was in Austin, Texas for a weekend the people there just went nuts over my mustache. I got a LOT of requests for photographs while I was there.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
It has turned me into a good father. I have also been drawn towards shaving and barbershop culture. I now shave exclusively with a straight razor and have started working on my own aftershaves.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I grew the handlebar as a political statement. I’m a bit of a reactionary and I think it communicates my sympathies for a bygone age of faith, patriotism, and Victorian sensibilities.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
I was recognized as Mustached American of the Day by the American Mustache Institute.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
“I challenge you to a bare knuckle boxing match.”
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
Clubman has been a staple for me. Handlebar is one that I am currently trying with decent results. Professional tip when in doubt, use more.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Makes him more manly. It also forces a man to grow up. You can’t really wear a handlebar with sagging trousers and a sideways baseball cap. The handlebar makes you live up to a certain level of gentlemanly expectations. Anyone who is looking for a path to self-improvement should definitely consider the handlebar.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Very attached. I don’t think I will ever be without a mustache, but I might be convinced to keep it shorter. Perhaps if I were threatened with divorce. Global cooling might convince me to grow the full beard.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
My son has some mustache shirts that my wife bought because they were really cheap. We get comments when he wears them out with me.
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
American Mustache Institute, Art of Manliness
14. All about color How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
Close match. Never dyed.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I just graduated from law school and my classmates were very supportive. I am about to start work as a judge’s clerk and he has given me positive feedback on the mustache.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
The thing combs itself these days.
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
Cut things into pieces and use straws. Bagels with cream-cheese are the most dangerous, but eat them upside down. Pizza slices can be rolled. Corn on the cob sometimes must be consumed off the cob.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
No. Sometimes I comb it down into a Nietzsche stash.
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
Close curls, I aim for perfect circles these days.
22. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
Does your mustache say anything about your politics?
23. Would you share your location and / or your age?
You may enjoy these related posts: