Handlebar Moustache Survey by Matt of Melbourne
Introducing Matt Thomas and his fine moustache!
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve only had my handlebar mustache for three full months at the time I took this survey. The picture of me is one month old, though. I have consistently had facial hair since I was 14 but never thought that I could sport a mustache. I used to hate how I looked with it when it was only just starting to grow so I assumed that I wouldn’t look good when it was longer. I was wrong.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
I can’t say whether or not my ancestors have a handlebar mustache but nobody else in my family today has one. I’m the only one. I remember watching the movie Tombstone and thinking that everyone in it had an incredible mustache. One day I finally decided that I was going to grow one like that.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
At first, I was just growing a mustache. I had no intention of turning it into a handlebar mustache. Before I did, nobody really said anything about it. It was just a regular mustache that nobody cared for. One day, I got some wax and wore it as a handlebar, intending it to only be for a day. The next day, I wore it again and I haven’t looked back. I receive so many compliments. People generally love it. Both men and women.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
A few people have asked me whether or not it is real. One fellow asked me where I got the wax because he has never been able to find it here in Australia. My favorite compliment was from a female at a CD store. At the checkout, she said to me “Let’s be honest here. You probably have the perfect mustache.” I was smiling for a long time after that.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I think that it has given me a huge boost of confidence. I’ve found the style that will stay with me for a very, very long time. It hasn’t changed my personality or behavior, I just feel really good about having it. I’ve started going out more and generally feel happier now that I have a better mustache than I ever wanted.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I’ve always been quite old-fashioned. I’m young, but I would have fit right in, had I been born 120 years ago. I love old styles and traditions. The mustache has come to be somewhat of a laughable fashion statement. But when someone wears one well, it’s incredibly masculine and bold. People like it.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
I have not but it’s something that I would jump at.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
Not many people have given me any negative looks or comments. Only 2 or 3 that I can remember. They didn’t think that I looked silly, they just don’t like mustaches. To the people who do think I look odd or silly or stupid, I would say nothing to them. I need not defend myself on the matter of my mustache.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I like to use Clubman’s brown wax and some hair lacquer. The brown wax is good because my mustache is lighter than the rest of my hair. It holds it nicely, too, but the hair lacquer gives it a lot more strength. Once it has been shaped to my liking, it’s not going to change until I go to bed. It holds very strong.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
I think it makes him stand out. It lets people know that he isn’t some boy who grew a beard. He’s a man who knows exactly who and what he is.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I’m very attached to my mustache. I don’t know exactly what it would take for me to shave it off. My mustache grows very fast, so I would cut it off in exchange for something substantial. But nothing would make me not grow it back.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
I have not.
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
I’ve recently been visiting handlebarclub.co.uk. Their forum is very cool. Also, while not strictly a mustache website, artofmanliness.com is a fantastic website for men.
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
It doesn’t match it at all. It’s mostly light brown with some blond and a minimal amount of auburn in there. I don’t like how it looks unless I use the brown wax, then it matches my hair.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
I wouldn’t mind seeing more articles on here. Articles about mustaches, what they mean, what they used to be and what they are now, how they are viewed today, etc. Things like that interest me.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
At this stage, it hasn’t affected it at all. More people initiate conversations with me, though, so I am meeting and speaking to more people every day.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
Right now I work in a 4WD tire warehouse. I just carry tires all day. I’m there while I figure out what I want to do with my life. The people at my work and the people who come in all like my mustache.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
The power of respect. I get many respectful nods from those who don’t have the opportunity to speak to me.
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
I haven’t been tempted to remove it at all. I have adapted my eating style to my mustache. Most things are fine to eat, but large things like burgers and pizza have to be eaten carefully. I drink thick drinks with a straw and thinner drinks can be easy as long as you keep your top lip away from the liquid.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
21. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well:
“What reactions do you get from males and what reactions do you get from females?”
Guys seem to appreciate a good mustache, even if they would never think of wearing one. Females are mixed. I have found that the girls who like my mustache tend to have a very laid back and fun personality. They know a man when they see one.
22. Would you share your location and / or your age?
I’m 22 years old and I live in Melbourne, Australia.