Handlebar Moustache Survey by Matt from Ohio
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
About 16 weeks, it is still evolving. I would not classify it as a true handlebar just yet, but getting there. Too many non-conforming players to get a decent curl.
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
Thought it would be a nice crown for the brand new beard.
- What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Click to ENLARGE
“You look ridiculous”; “A handlebar moustache? Is that what your growing? Really???” And the best comment so far has been from my wife who said sarcastically “I’m so lucky!”
- What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
See above comments to question 3.
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Yes, I realized that for so many years I was doing and acting according to the desire of others and I decided at Halloween that was going to change. I am growing a beard and having a handlebar moustache because that is what I WANT!
- What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
Conservative but adventurous spirit.
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
My response has been “you obviously haven’t looked in the mirror recently!”
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
Haven’t tried too many but what I have tried has been beard oil, moustache wax, Got2Bglued and a hair dryer. Still learning to perfect the process, so nor real preferences yet.
- What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Gives (builds) confidence! All through the growing process, I had to fight the urge to end it and go back to the way I was. But I persevered and developed a strong sense of confidence I didn’t know I had.
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Quite attached! Actually, there is nothing I can think of that would make me shave it off. I have had a moustache since I was 25 and it will be there till the day I die.
- Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
No! But that’s a thought