Handlebar Moustache Survey by Luis of Mexico City
Welcome to Luis and His Fine Handlebar Mo!
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
For about a month. I had a chinstrap with a regular trimmed mustache for 3 months only because people (mostly girls) said I looked better with it. Before that I hadn’t grown one ever.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
Most of my uncles wear ‘staches or did so in the past, but all of them were chevrons. My brother has had a chevron for years now and one day (I still had no facial hair) I jokingly suggested a handlebar. He promised he would try it for a month but in the end he didn’t do it. A few months after, I let mine grow because of lazyness and I got the idea of showing my brother (and myself) that I was brave enough to try a HB.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
I’m currently single, but a girl I like (one of the supporters of my short, trimmed ‘stache) said it was a terrible and ridiculous idea when I said I would let it grow. My mother said I was crazy and complained every day for a week. My work colleagues laughed at me for days. A few weeks later everyone seems to like it.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
Many have called me Dalí. A Russian friend of mine said that I’m getting closer every day to the Mexican stereotype. My grandmother laughed and couldn’t speak for ten minutes straight the first time she saw it.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I feel more confident. People stare at me and notice me more in general, which is something I wouldn’t feel comfortable with before. Now I’m really happy to stand out a bit.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I try crazy things all the time. I like it when people don’t fully understand me.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
Nope, I’d like to be there just as a spectator. My mustache is not that good.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I’ve got a few comments like that, but I don’t care at all. I’m happy with it and that’s all that matters.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
Gluestick. The brand I use is called Pritt by Henckel (most popular here in Mexico). Proper mustache wax is impossible to find here, and since my hair is curly and wirey nothing else could hold it in place.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
It makes him more of a man. What facial feature is more manly than facial hair?
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Very. I wouldn’t die without it, and maybe I’ll get bored at some point, but for now I’m with it for the really long run.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
YouTube has been my best ally. (Got the gluestick idea from there)
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
My facial hair is much lighter than the rest. I have solid dark brown hair, but my mustache has several tones ranging from almost black to very blonde (especially when not glued and backlit)
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
The first time I kissed someone with the HB I immediately started laughing (I still can’t believe I’m growing it). It’s a strange feeling to kiss with it, but it’s not unpleasant or blocking. I don’t know if I look better or I’m just more confident, but I’ve gotten lucky more often with the HB than I was with the trimmed moustache. :})
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I have a small startup with only two colleagues. The mood in the office is extremely relaxed, so the only reactions I get are laughs. If anything it has given us a good conversation starter every time we meet someone.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
None whatsoever until today (I had buffalo wings), but my hair is not that full so it doesn’t go too much over my lip.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
I find it comical just every single day. I start the day with a laugh every day I style it. Yesterday I made a double handlebar (one curl in the center a bit wider than the nose and the regular one on the tips), but just for myself in my room.
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I don’t know how to call them, but I do vary the style. Sometimes I glue it thinner and more “tube-like” and sometimes I go for a wider/flatter look. Sometimes I make the tips go vertical, sometimes I curl them further.
22. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well:
“Do you ever go out without styling your moustache?”
“No, it looks absolutely horrible.”
23. Would you share your location and / or your age?
Mexico City, 27
You may enjoy these related posts: