Handlebar Moustache Survey by Kyle Perrin of Texas
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve had a handlebar for around 4 months now, just recently shaving my beard off to sport it.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache?
I loved my beard, but wanted something a little more unique that most guys don’t have. Most guys can grow at least a decent beard, but it takes discipline to maintain a nice handlebar.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
People love it, they think it’s super awesome. Moustache culture is rapidly growing, and people love unique styles. My girlfriend loves it. (She likes the full beard to accompany, but still digs the ‘stache).
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
My best friend’s wife wants me to grow it long enough to style through my stretched ears. That’s all I have for that question!
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I feel very good about myself, mainly because I took the time and effort to see something through that most other dudes don’t. I feel a sense of pride in having boutique facial hair.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
Over time it just kind of grew. I finally went for it and the results are awesome! I like being a little different, and having my own style.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
I haven’t yet. West Texas doesn’t afford such luxuries to it’s inhabitants….I plan to attend some out of town though very soon!
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I express myself in a way I love and feel represents my personality. I respect you for doing the same, regardless of how wrong it may be.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I currently use a brand called Moustache Wrestler. I purchased that after having little success with certain pomades. It works pretty well for now, but my particular hair type needs something even more firm for my styling preferences.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Promotes self-confidence, a sense of pride and accomplishment, and knowing that you saw something through.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I don’t think I could ever cut it and not curl it – no matter how much of a beard I had or how clean shaven I am. I love it, and I think my facial hair (although it doesn’t define me) is a big part of who I am.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
Not yet. I usually don’t think about buying merch simply because of the fact that I have one on my face. But, I’ve seen some awesome stuff locally, and will probably get some pretty soon. Moustache merch is pretty legit.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
Actually, this is the first one I have come across that is actually put together well, and has a lot for its members to partake in. I don’t really see a reason to keep looking when I’ve already found a great one.
14. Have you participated in online events like Moustache May, Movember or others, and what was that like?
I have done stuff like that and I think it’s a blast. It’s a great way to promote community between people who otherwise might not have a chance to interact or share their style with others who partake. Committing on a journey to grow facial hair with other men is second to nothing else.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
I think it might be cool to have interviews of professional musicians or other celebrities who have styled facial hair, and their story behind it. It would be cool to see how moustache culture influences pop culture.
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, and does it interfere with the act of kissing?
My girlfriend loves it, but sometimes it does get in the way. It’s never a big issue though. In fact, she actually has never even mentioned anything about it, it’s just something I’ve observed.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
I can communicate telepathically with babies and small animals. Plus when I’m on stage my guitar starts to glow purple.
19. Would you share your location?
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
Does your moustache inspire you to do things you normally wouldn’t do, in social or other areas of life? Answer below >
Answer to 20: I am inspired to break the stereotype surrounding people with unique facial hair and personal appearances. I try to be gentle to people, and as kind as I can so they see we are just like they are. We’re just better genetically.
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
Not yet, but October is getting pretty close!!
You may enjoy these related posts: