Handlebar Moustache Survey by Kevin Lawson
Introducing Kevin G. Lawson!
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I really started wearing mine around sept-oct 2012, had one for about a year but always with a goatee
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
Yes, I recently discovered a picture of my Great-Great Grandfather (see photo below) who wore a very nice handlebar in the picture. I then thought maybe I could do it as well and after a few months, I was ready to shave off the goatee and just have the stach.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Everybody loves it (at least that is what they tell me) my wife loves it, but only when it gets trimmed up
Kevin’s great-great-grandfather, Erastus Granger, Sr.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
It always seems to get a least a smile from people, kids seem to look at it longer than adults
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Yes, I feel a more historical connection with mine; my great-great grandfather, my time in the cavalry (looking at all the old photos from the Indian Wars thru Vietnam in our HQ building) I feel it represents a call to the past when men had a distinctive way of displaying their personality
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
Again a historical connection, I love history
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.”
“I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would be an affront to your intelligence.”
George Bernard Shaw
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
Firehouse Tacky wax during the day and Men’s Face Stuff All-Nighter in the evening ( more for the wonderful aroma) Does anyone know of a wax that has a bourbon aroma?
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Makes him more complete, it takes a commitment to wear handlebars. And most men today do not have the patience to grow and nurture what would be a wonderful extension of their personality.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I think that I would keep it for some time and would take some serious reflection before doing anything drastic.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
All natural and I love the reddish-ness of it shows off my Scottish-Irish roots
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
I have no issues with kissing, I still pucker my lips and smooch.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I work for a print shop, most everyone likes it and I feel that, where else would you find a handlebar mustache but in a den of artists and scoundrels.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
None that I don’t already have.
19. Would you share your location?
You may enjoy these related posts: