Handlebar Moustache Survey by Kevin in Colorado
Thanks Kevin in Colorado
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
The handlebar was born during a beard trim six months ago. I’ve had a beard or goatee for most of the last 18 years, sporting just a mustache just two or three times. One of those times I let it get big, but never had guts to go handlebar.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache?
I was considering letting my beard grow long for the winter and had let it get a bit overgrown when I decided to trim it for some family pictures we were having taken. I trimmed the beard, trimmed the middle of the mustache, but left the ends long and used some hair gel to curl them, just to see if I could give my wife a giggle. She thought it was cool and when I said I was going to cut them before pictures told me not to. I decided to let it grow out for a few more weeks… weeks turned months.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
My significant other has been supportive. I ask her occasionally if it’s too long and she says no. Of course, she’s often said it’s my hair and I can do what I want with it (within reason). Others have gotten used to it. Many people that I haven’t seen in a while are surprised when they see me.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
I went to a wedding recently. The photographer kept taking pictures of me and my kids. Finally he came up to me and said “you didn’t think I was going to go all night and not take a picture of just you and that mustache did you?”
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I can be a bit of an individual (some people would call it stubborn). This just proves that I am stubborn enough to stick to a commitment.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
No and I really have no desire too.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I wouldn’t say anything.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I’ve used some hair gel with mixed results. Currently I’m experimenting with Firehouse Mustache wax which seems to work pretty well. However the styling aid that I find helps the most is my wife’s curling iron. If I wanted a tight fully curled mustache, the iron probably wouldn’t work, but for a bit loose stache where I just need enough curl to get it up out of my mouth… it’s perfect.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
It brands him an individual.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
If I needed to search for a job, I’d probably cut the curls just because I think they may come across as “too strong” during the interview process.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
14. Have you participated in online events like Moustache May, Movember or others, and what was that like?
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
16. Can you list here some links to online photos of your moustache I can use for this survey if published, or if you don\’t have pics online, may I email you so you can send me what you would like to share?
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, and does it interfere with the act of kissing?
I haven’t been without a beard the entire time I’ve been dating, engaged, married to my wife (she did know me without the beard in college, but that was years ago). The handlebar hasn’t gotten in the way any more/less than my regular mustache.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
19. Would you share your location?
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
How long did it take you to get your mustache to the point you could curl it? I didn’t start growing mine from scratch, but I was able to get a good curl a few weeks from my last “short” trim. However, it took a couple more months to get to “mega stache” status.
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
You may enjoy these related posts: