Handlebar Moustache Survey by Kenny Landes of SF
Here’s what Kenny Landes said:
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
Been wearing my handlebar for the past 6 months. Before then I had never grown my mustache longer than #6 on my trimmer.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache?
Guys on Beard Board told me I should do it, so I decided to give it a try.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Most people like it, think it’s fancy. The CFO at my company gauges my mood based on how I have it styled.
My partner is not a big supporter and the reaction was that the handlebar was the only thing possibly worse than the beard.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
I really haven’t had this experience. I live in San Francisco, and there’s a lot of facial hair here, along with the lingering history of the 1960s.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
At first I was uncomfortable wearing it out in public, but my barber styled it up for me one day and I wore it home. It was cool, and since t hen I’ve just gone with it.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I find it’s hard to take myself too seriously with a handlebar, and that is a good reason to keep it.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
No I haven’t ever been to any contests or gatherings. It would be interesting.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
Thanks for sharing.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I use a combination of products most days. I start with American Crew Fiber, then comb in some Dr Dittmar Original Bartwichse. It gives it firm, yet pliable hold. I finish with jojoba oil, and comb it back. That’s my everyday style. When I want to take it up a notch, I used Bounder to support underneath above the lip, and then twist it on out the tips. It’s excellent stuff!
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
It definitely sets him apart from the rest. It’s a look only a confident man can wear.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I might trim it back every now and then. It’s wider than my head right now. But I’m pretty fond of it, and I would only shave it if I had to shave my beard for some awful reason.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
My daughter gave me a mustache shirt for Father’s Day. That was pretty cool.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
There’s a woman on Pinterest with this board about Mustache Addiction. It’s kinda funny. http://pinterest.com/clares_giese/mustache-addiction/
14. Have you participated in online events like Moustache May, Movember or others, and what was that like?
My office did Movember, but I already had my mustache, and thought the “shave it at the end” bit was unnecessary. I watched other guys in the office grow theirs and encouraged them to keep them. A couple did.
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, and does it interfere with the act of kissing?
Yeah it gets in the way, and that has been an issue. But it’s AWESOME. My partner really isn’t into it, but I’m working on changing that.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
No, but I got it a red cape all the same.
19. Would you share your location?
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”