Handlebar Moustache Survey by Jonathan of Missouri
Thank you, Jonathan. Nice answers.
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I stopped shaving my mustache in January of this year (2012) and I have not shaved it since then (it is May 17, 2012). I have never let my upper lip hair grow before this experiment.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache?
Seeing an old friend with one and then finding this website gave me the courage to grow a handlebar. Having a mustache like this is something I’ve considered for a long time but never thought I could pull it off until this year.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
My family and close friends have all been very supportive. My wife likes it almost as much as I do. I get mixed reactions from friends I haven’t seen in a while or strangers. Usually when people comment they say something positive about it.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
My older brother occasionally makes fun of my “cat-fish” whiskers sometimes, but I think he is just jealous. I have also gained a few nicknames, most notably is The Lorax.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
No effect on my personality or behavior, I think certain people are drawn to certain things; handlebar mustache being one of those things. I think it has affected my self-image though. I feel more confident and manly. It has also compelled me to dress nicer, not sure why though.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I used to have very long hair. I think that certain people are drawn towards alternative styles, things that are not mainstream. Handlebar mustaches are a unique thing and require a lot of patience and perseverance and I think my dedication to these things truly compelled me to grow one.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
I haven’t found any in my area yet. If you know of one in SW Missouri let me know.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I am an old-fashion kind of guy. I’m only 26, but I prefer the style of by-gone eras. So if someone were to say that I look odd or stupid I’d simply say that that is their opinion but I firmly disagree. I think many of the current styles and trends of this modern era are odd and silly, but I don’t judge if you want to have purple hair and an eight inch earlobe.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I have only used Clubman. I am not sold on it yet, but I won’t buy a different kind until this tube runs out. There are a few other kinds I want to try though.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
I think it is a classic mustache that demands respect. It makes a man look confident and manly. It also shows that they have dedication and perseverance.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
They say everything has a price, I just don’t know what my mustache is worth to me yet. I can’t think of anything I’d trade it for. Although my wife’s opinion matters more than anything so if she said it had to go I’d shave it in a heartbeat. Fortunately for me she likes it.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
I have not yet; I am on the lookout for some though.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
This one is my favorite actually and has the best information I’ve found anywhere. One website that I truly enjoy, although not dedicated to mustaches, is http://artofmanliness.com/
14. Have you participated in online events like Moustache May, Movember or others, and what was that like?
It is currently the month of May and I have not shaved at all… but no I have yet to participate in any official mustache related events online or in person.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
I can’t really say anything that this site needs because I think it is perfect. I love the posts and information.
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, and does it interfere with the act of kissing?
As I’ve said before my wife likes my mustache, but it does effect kissing a bit. One of the biggest draw backs I suppose is kissing my wife and getting my mustache in my mouth.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Yes. I have found that bottles of beer open themselves now and I can fly.
19. Would you share your location?
I live near Springfield Missouri which is in the south-west corner of the state, but I am originally from California.
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
Is it hard to eat or drink? Yes it is. Which is why I carry a handkerchief in my pocket at all times now, as well as a small mustache comb.
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
I have not yet. But I am excited for Halloween this year. I am thinking either an evil villain dressed in all black or a cowboy.
You may enjoy these related posts: