Handlebar Moustache Survey by John Yeager of New Orleans
Introducing John Yeager!
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I have had a mustache with or without accompanying facial hair for about five years now. I started growing it out about four months ago because my job (chef) will not allow me to have a full beard and I was getting very bored with a go-tee.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
I met a guy in a bar who had a fantastic handlebar mustache. His curls were waxed forward, away from his face, making his lip look like it had horns. I was green with envy. A month later a decided to start letting my corners grow out.
Click to ENLARGE
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Most people seem to enjoy it. I get a lot of compliments on the street, mostly from guys who have or have had fine mustaches of their own. My wife has been supportive of it from the start; she’s always been a fan of alternative fashion.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
Lots of pirate jokes. One of our food runners calls me captain cook. By and large though it seems like people hardly notice it and simply accept it as a normal part of my appearance. Although they are not uncommon where I live so that may be a factor.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I feel more masculine and more assertive. I also eat less as it can be quite a chore since I don’t typically have it glued in place.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I’ve always been fascinated by my own facial hair. I’ve tried many different styles. It was the next logical step.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
None, but I would consider it.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
Sit on it.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I use Murray’s bee’s wax daily just to keep it orderly and soft, but if I want a more outlandish style I use Got2b glued.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
It forces you to face your insecurities and decide how much you really care what others think of you. I’m quite sure that most observers see me as another hipster ass with a stupid mustache and I am perfectly fine with that.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
For me it’s a hobby. I’m very into it at present but I’m sure at some point in the future I’ll get tired of it. Maybe not, though. It’s really starting to grow on me.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
I have a shirt that my wife got for me a few years before I even grew it that says “Respect the Mustache”. It was a gag gift since I had just temporarily removed my full beard in favor of a porn stash.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
This is the only one I frequent but I’m really just getting into this.
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Pepper’n’Salt? Ginger? A bit of everything? Do you like it? Have you ever dyed it?
It’s pretty similar to my hair. Mostly blonde with some low lights and a few stray red hairs. I like it a lot. The bee’s wax makes it shiny and the individual colors stand out more.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
My wife likes it quite a bit although kissing can be problematic depending on how it’s styled. In all fairness though she has never seen me without a mustache so for all I know it could be keeping me from having the best sex of my life.
16. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I’m a cook in a high-end hotel restaurant. Most of my co-workers think it’s bad ass and more than a few have said they would like to grow one if it weren’t such a commitment. To that I say man up; it’s not as bad as it looks. However one of my co-workers can’t stand it and actually holds her hand over it while she talks to me.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
When it blows in the wind I can see into the future.
19. Would you share your location?
New Orleans, LA
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
If you could change something about your mustache what would it be?
I wish it had a little more natural curl. In order for me to get it to look like it does in the picture I had to hold it in place and hit it with a blow drier.
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
Oddly enough it’s styled for my Halloween costume in the posted picture. I’m going out as the Riddler tonight.
You may enjoy these related posts: