Handlebar Moustache Survey by Joe D of Lancaster
Here’s Joe D
- How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
The handlebar is a year old now. I grew my first facial hair in my late 30’s because I was often perceived as significantly younger, and I was hoping to help my career in engineering. I had some gray in my beard, so I grew a goatee to show the gray.
- What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
I grew one to be Grandpa in a community theater production of “Meet Me in St Louis” – then I liked it. A year later, and I am on my 4th theatrical role that made use of the ‘stash.
- What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Click to ENLARGE
I often forgot that I had it, and was surprised to find that I was getting looks from people. Then, realized why I was attracting the attention. Also, a few times, random strangers would approach me and say “Great ‘stash”.
- Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I am not, by nature, very social. But, the handle moustache has definitely reminded me to be friendlier when I make eye contact with people.
- What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
A bit of a theatrical flair.
- Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
- It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I never felt it took courage.
- What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I tried a few. But, finally just settled on using a small curling iron.
- What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
I always felt it is a bit whimsical. It indicates a bit of fun.
- How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
Whenever I have auditioned for a new play, I have always said, “my hair and facial hair is yours to do with what you want. Even shaving it all off is OK.” But, I think the moustache has been an asset. Community theater tends to have an over abundance of younger actors. So, the facial hair tends to age me further. They even add gray, to make me look older still.
- Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
- All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
Pretty close match, except that the beard definitely has a lot more gray now.
- Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
I was going to keep it fairly narrow in total length. But, I soon realized that there is a big benefit to having the long hair towards the outside edge of the mouth. Then, the hair in between I keep short enough that it is out of the way.
- What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I keep the upper half of my moustache shaved. Then the handlebar itself is a loose curl.
- Would you share your location and / or your age?
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA