Handlebar Moustache Survey by Jerry of Alaska
Please welcome Jerry and his moustache!
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I grew my first handlebar moustache around 1999. I wore that one for around 6 months and then shaved it off. In the meantime I have had mostly full beards or clean shaven. In the last several years I have grown an ordinary moustache and kept it trimmed. Around July of last year I decided to let my handlebars grow out and go for the full monty so to speak.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
No relatives or ancestors that I know of. I have always admired the large growth of full handlebar moustaches from times gone by. Anytime I’ve seen a handlebar I seem to be in awe of the majesty of the thing. It also represents a degree of independence and independent thought.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Siblings- You’ve got to stop this moustache obsession….something is wrong!
Friends-Some love it, some hate it. I’ve been told I’m not yet 40 so get rid of it. I’ve been told love it! I’ve been told great stache by random people.
Girlfriend is neutral I think….she likes the moustache but also likes the clean shaven look.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
When you’re not working are you in a barbershop quartet? Monopoly man….
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Sometimes I feel self-conscious about it when talking to others. Other times I seem to find myself walking a bit taller.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
Independence, historical fascination, works well with hats and vests.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
Not as of yet.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
Don’t dis awesomeness! The reality is that is their opinion. I would venture to say that the majority of folks are greatly influenced by what their peers say or think about them. Wearing the handlebar moustache, or any unique facial hair style for that matter, is a mark of independence and independent thought. Handlebar ‘stache wearers seem to be in a league of their own. Mavericks, and independent in thinking and actions.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I have found that I prefer to go natural. I have a natural curl that I can finger style in the morning. When I do use wax I have used Firehouse Wacky Tacky and Oregon Wild Hair. I seem to like the Oregon Wild Hair wax because it is a softer lighter hold wax.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Develops a sense of confidence and pride. It helps to put you in the limelight and therefore one pays more attention to how you present yourself. I think the handlebar attracts men interested in detail. It gives patience, and helps to develop the ability to go through the bad days as well as good without a knee jerk reaction.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I am quite attached to it. Not sure what it would take to not grow it back….that is quite a commitment.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
None that haven’t already been mentioned on the site.
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
Moustache-red, Hair-brown. Various shades of red from deep red to almost blond in the stache. I do like the color but wish the curls would be darker like the middle. I have never dyed my hair.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
The site is comprehensive already…can’t think of anything yet.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
Longish term relationship so it hasn’t affected dating. With the longer hairs it’s like I’ve had to relearn how to kiss.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I’m a bush pilot in Alaska. Positive relationships with customers.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Superhuman strength and the ability to leap over mountains in a single bound.
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
Cut or tear anything and everything into small bite sized pieces and use a fork.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
22. Would you share your location and / or your age?
Iliamna, Alaska 37 Years of Age
You may enjoy these related posts: