Handlebar Moustache Survey by Jayson Manalé
CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
Four months. I’ve always worn facial hair, primarily beards, but this is my first attempt at the handlebar ‘stache.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
I wanted to grow something different. I was looking through some old photos of my dad and grandfather who both at one point in their lives sported a handlebar moustache. And then it hit me…that’s it, that’s what I’m gonna grow! Little did I know of the society of handlebar moustaches that still exists until I searched online. So, here I am.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
I received a range of reactions from: “why?”, “cool!”, “awesome man!”, “that’s great…love it”, “I wanna grow one now, too”.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
I’ve only had it for a short time (4 months), so no funny or strange comments YET. Just various types of looks from approval to ok, what’s that guy thinking?
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I notice myself styling/cutting my hair differently, or in accordance to. I’ve purchased some I guess you could call “retro” hats and clothing that “go with” my ‘stache. I feel more confident and even more self-aware than before.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I love to be different through all types of expression, I love wearing facial hair, I’m witty and outgoing.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
Everyone has the right to their opinion, and like me, everyone has a right to dress the way they want or wear facial hair to their choosing/liking. I’d let them know it’s a fun unique moustache that many iconic men have worn throughout history, and still to this day…so loosen up!!!
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
STACHE BOMB – a softer wax for shaping and has a phenomenal scent. I absolutely LOVE this stuff! Wild Bill’s XXX Brand Fine Mustache Wax (Stiff) – a VERY stiff wax w/ excellent hold and pine scent. Got2b “glued” – a styling spiking glue that’s water resistant, and is VERY MUCH like a glue! If you’re an active person, or have an outdoor job then this stuff WILL NOT FAIL you!!! I used this years ago when I used to spike my hair, so I decided to use it on my ‘stache and…voilà!
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Sets himself apart from the ordinary.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I’m VERY attached to it, and the ONLY way I’d shave it off is if it would cost me my life or my job…lol!
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
None that Google couldn’t…heh!
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
My hair has some light and dark brown tones (along w/ some greys). The moustache has all shades of reds, light & dark browns, and some blondes. I love its color and have never dyed it.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
I dunno…it’s pretty well put together for my liking!
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
I’m single at this point, so I dunno.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I don’t know because I’ll be starting a new State job soon as an engineer technician.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
It makes the ladies surrender their phone number upon request.
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
So far I’ve had to change eating habits. I picked up tips from this site and others. Haven’t been tempted to remove the HB.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
Haven’t had it during Halloween yet.
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
It’s still young yet, but I usually keep it relaxed like a sweep. I do prefer to thinly curl just the very ends up a bit. Sometimes not a full curl…I’ll half curl and let it go straight up.
23. Would you share your location and / or your age?
New Orleans, LA / 36 yrs old
You may enjoy these related posts: