Handlebar Moustache Survey by Jason of Sacramento
And here’s Jason!
Jason of Sacramento
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve been growing out my handlebar for just over nine months now. I’ve briefly had a stand-alone moustache a couple of times, but most of my adult life I’ve had either a full beard or goatee.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
Last fall I finally decided it was time for the beard to go and let the moustache stand on its own. After that, my barber suggested I grow it out a bit, and I just never stopped! There are also so many great examples here on your website and on the Handlebar Club’s that I decided I had to give it a shot.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
The biggest surprised looks and comments are always from people who haven’t seen me in a while. Kids are always good sources of wide-eyed looks and comments. My wife has not been a big fan, but I keep thinking she will eventually resign herself to it.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
One of my coworkers has taken to referring to me as Mr. Moustache. Another guy standing in line at the café (who said that he had had a handlebar at one time) asked me if it’s changed my life (and yes, it has!). In general I’ve gotten lots of really positive comments. One of the best was from the young woman at the grocery store who described it as an “epic ‘stache!”
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I feel like it’s a very natural expression of myself and me being comfortable with myself. I also feel a much greater sense of self confidence now with it. It’s definitely helped me to come out of my shell, and it’s helped me to be more tolerant of others who may look a bit unconventional.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I have a bit of an old-fashioned/retro kind of personality, so I think it fits well.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
No not yet, although I’ve had people starting to tell me about them and suggest that I participate!
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and frankly I don’t care what anyone else thinks about it at this point in my life!
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I started out using Firehouse Moustache Wax – Wacky Tacky when my moustache was smaller. Now that it’s bigger, I would have to use so much wax, it just wouldn’t look good. I switched a few months back to Got2B Glued spiking gel, which does a much better job of holding it firmly in place.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
A handlebar moustache gives a man a certain distinctive look, along with an air of confidence and style.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I am quite attached to my handlebar right now; it’s most certainly an integral part of me. I suppose someday it’s possible I could get tired of it, but I can’t imagine that happening at this point. It’s also possible that I would do something to it for a job interview, but thankfully I haven’t had to deal with that yet!
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
I have not, although I’m noticing a lot more moustache-related merchandise. I keep expecting people to give me something moustache-related as a gift, but it hasn’t happened yet. I do want to get a moustache cup though.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
This website of course! It was the first one I encountered, and then the Handlebar Club forum and website. Some of the moustache wax websites are pretty interesting too.
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Pepper’n’Salt? Ginger? A bit of everything? Do you like it? Have you ever dyed it?
There’s much more of a mix of color in my moustache: brown, blond, black, red, and more and more gray. The hair on my head is more evenly light brown (and gray). I haven’t dyed it, but it has crossed my mind.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Links and information related to moustaches, such as relevant newspaper or magazine articles, competitions, etc.
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
It hasn’t really changed my love life, but my wife probably kisses me a bit less frequently (and more carefully) now than before.
16. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I am a transportation planner. I’ve noticed that the people I meet are much more likely to remember me now. Even if they can’t remember my name, they remember my moustache!
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
Of course! Once you have grown a handlebar moustache, you realize that you are capable of doing anything!
19. Would you share your location?
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
Have you made any changes to how you eat or drink with your handlebar moustache?
I try to eat smaller bites, more slowly and more carefully. I also try to drink everything with a straw now.
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
I haven’t yet, but I think I will have something for Halloween this year…
You may enjoy these related posts: