Handlebar Moustache Survey by Jared of San Francisco
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve had my handle bar for a year and a half. I’ve worn it short with a goatee before that.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache?
One word “Tombstone”. That awesome movie was constantly on the tube. After watching Kurt Russell look like such a badass I had to try it myself. However mine is more like Val Kilmer’s so that’s how I’m rockin’ it now.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
I had it longer than it is now at first. I would get 2-3 compliments a day. Everyone loved it. Especially chicks! After the first 3-4 months the compliments have died down. I also wear it a little shorter with less wax now. Probably has something to do with it.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
Not much besides genuine compliments. Every now and then. Some jealous dude would try and make fun of it. Can’t remember what they said.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Not really. I’ve always done whatever i thought was cool and could care less what was popular at the time.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I’m a fan of old time ways and style. Rather be from the 1890’s rather than the1990’s. However the 90’s did have some awesome music. I also think Kurt Russell’s tombstone stache brain washed me into doing it
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
Not yet. I’ve thought about it. Looks like a good time
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I wouldn’t waste my breath on anyone who didn’t appreciate the awesomeness of the moustachioed man. I’m not trying to please anyone but myself with my moustache
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I used firehouse wacky tacky when going for the Rollie Fingers. Now I use Taylor of Old Bond Street. It’s a delicate hold that keeps stray hairs inline. You couldn’t really style with it. I highly recommend getting a very nice pair of small trimming scissors and a small brush and comb. Also if you’re gonna rock awesome facial hair. Ditch the Mach 3 and start shaving with a straight or safety razor, the way God intended.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Let’s you know he is in touch with his masculinity!
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I’m pretty attached. I shorten the curls often but wouldn’t remove them completely. I’d need at least 5k cash to chop em for good
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
I have a t-shirt that has a revolver on it. The following slogan reads “Guns Don’t Kill People, People With Moustaches Kill People”. I also have a button with a handle bar that reads “stach’tastic”. And a 6″ handlebar moustache magnet on my fridge
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
Just classicshaving.com for grooming supplies
14. Have you participated in online events like Moustache May, Movember or others, and what was that like?
Never heard of them. More info please!
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Write ups on iconic ‘staches throughout history and Hollywood
16. Can you list here some links to online photos of your moustache I can use for this survey if published, or if you don’t have pics online, may I email you so you can send me what you would like to share?
I will email them to you!
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, and does it interfere with the act of kissing?
No effect on kissing
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
I can shoot straighter
19. Would you share your location?
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
What’s your favorite historical moustache? Franz Ferdinand. That thing was epic. Too bad it doesn’t keep him from getting shot.
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
Not for Halloween. But one dinner party I put so much wax in it that it looked completely fake.
You may enjoy these related posts: