Handlebar Moustache Survey by Jamie Cain of Huntsville AL
Introducing Jamie Cain!
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I just recently started growing mine. I have always had short beard and moustache but kept everything trimmed to same length. I stopped trimming the sides of my moustache and shaved everything else off this past weekend.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
I was recently introduced to a photo of Benjamin Juergens and was fascinated by his stache. I wanted to grow one like his.
Click to ENLARGE
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
Laughter, surprise, and even photo comments on Facebook in which others ask me if it were real!
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
“You look silly”,” It’s a contradiction to your style”, and funniest of all, “You look like the Lorax”
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
At first, I was very self-conscious of it. I found people staring at me and others that took a double take to make sure it was real. As I go about my day, I have found that I forget about it and I am beginning to get comfortable wearing it.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I have always been one with unique hair styles and clothing choices. I tend to do things out of the ordinary and this is no different. I think it fits my personality and I can not believe I never tried it before now.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
No, but I recently ran into a young man that was sporting a handlebar moustache and he is a member of a local Beard and Moustache group in the area in which I reside and, at that time, I had what he referred to as a “Business Beard” and asked if I wanted to join.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I just ignore them and make them feel silly for even commenting. Those that know me know that I am constantly attempting ways to alter my look that doesn’t fit the standard.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I first started using American Classic pomade for my hair and any product that remained on my hands went to the stache. As the length has increased I purchased and starting applying Clubman Neutral to the ends to keep the ends together and tight.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Sporting a handlebar makes a man look more “manly”, more distinguished.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
As I find it “growing” on me, I think I would have a hard time cutting it off. I watched a video on you tube of this gentleman demonstrating how he styles his handlebar, only to find myself disgusted and upset when he ended the video by shaving off his masterpiece.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
Not as of yet, but as I continue to experiment, I can see myself owning a few moustache related items such as mugs and t-shirts.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Pepper’n’Salt? Ginger? A bit of everything? Do you like it? Have you ever dyed it?
The color of my moustache is close to the color of my head, but I have recently started seeing a bit of light blond and gray take over.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
“Rate My Moustache” monthly photo competition.
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
I am currently separated from my lifelong love and haven’t started dating. Knowing her, she would hate it. Whenever I would get any length to the area above the lip, she would complaining of it tickling her and if I wanted any significant “kissing” to occur, I would have to trim it back.
16. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I am a multimedia developer for a government contractor and I have what we refer to as a “cube-life”. I live and breathe in a cubicle farm and I do not have much contact with customers, so growing a fun moustache is perfect for me and my work space.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
I find that it does allow me to speak more often to those of the opposite sex in a more relaxed manner. I couldn’t do that before I grew it.
19. Would you share your location?
I live in an area in which we refer to as “Hunts-Vegas” The wonderful, rocket-science” based city of Huntsville AL.
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
As my moustache grows, I will definitely recreate the comical fake moustache I wore last year. It was a handlebar with a 24 inch wing span. I wore it dressed as “Taco Man”. I sported the moustache, a sombrero filled with tortilla chips and wearing a holster carrying cheese dip and hot sauce.
You may enjoy these related posts: