Handlebar Moustache Survey by James of Georgia
Click to enlarge the picture
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
Week seven of “Operation Handlebar Mustache”. During my 10 years in the military, I experimented with various mustaches (in keeping with regulations) and after getting out, tried both full and goatee style beards.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache? Do any relatives or ancestors have handlebar moustaches?
My new wife, Joy, likes to play with my hair and one evening we were just talking about my ‘stache and I mentioned how cool I thought a handlebar would look. She got so excited that I couldn’t not do it! According to my Mother’s genealogy research, I am a direct descendant of the pirate – Captain Kidd!
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
There’s been a mixture of likes and stares as well as those naysayers who have no sense of adventure. Joy is elated … she has been behind me the whole way and twirls it with her fingers.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar moustache over time?
I’ve been called … “Colonel Sanders Jr”, “The Lorax!”, and Moustachio!”. Overall, it has been well received.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
Most definitely! The more attention it gets the better … and it has added a certain measure of “swagger” if I do say so. I even have a t-shirt of Sesame Street’s Elmo with a handlebar and it says – “This might tickle …. Just saying”.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
Years of “conforming” in the military made me want to not blend in.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
They have no sense of adventure, and are not worthy of a ‘Stache!
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
I’ve tried “Stache Bomb”, and Clubman, but out of curiosity I tried some hair styling gel for spiking and it holds well with a bit of flexibility … no fragrance to counter any cologne either! For most days, though, just a little water and shaping is all I need.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
Makes him stand out in a crowd and more “manly”.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I’m loving it and the attention – especially from the wife! I’d say I was pretty attached.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff?
Some waxes, comb & brush, and a few t-shirts.
13. Can you recommend some other moustache web sites?
14. All about color: How closely does your moustache match the color of the hair on your head? How many colors are in your moustache? Do you like its color? Have you ever dyed it?
Well … I shave my head, but my mustache and beard are red with a little grey (I like it call it “chrome”). I like it fine, it’s what God gave me and no, I have never dyed my hair.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
Just getting here – let me take a look around and I’ll get back to ya.
16. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, dating, and does it interfere with kissing?
It has sparked some adventure in my love life (like I said, the wife loves it!). Kissing does present a problem – now and then to a “stray hair”, but outside of that it tickles like it ought to.
17. What do you do for a living and what impact do you think your handlebar moustache has with customers, coworkers and superiors?
I’m a Quality Assurance Engineer at a propeller manufacturing facility. Coworkers either love it or think it’s silly, and my manager still shakes his head when passing me in the hall! It generates conversation and many times makes doing my job easier, because we can “break the ice” talking about my stache.
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
If renewed swagger and bravado are considered superpowers, then … yes!
19. Eating – neatly – can be a challenge with a larger moustache. Do you have any eating tips, or stories to share? Have you been tempted to remove the HB due to eating issues?
Eating takes consideration and smart choices when in public with a handlebar. I keep a small brush on me at all times to make spot fixes.
20. Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?
I’ve been playing around with it as it continues to grow, but for the most part, I stays the same.
21. What is your preferred style for your handlebar moustache, and do you do a variety of styles?
I also have a goatee, which I have trimmed-up, and now the combination more closely resembles a “Musketeer” style. As it gets longer and thicker, I may experiment with other styles … like Hungarian.
22. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well:
What is your favorite character with a handlebar mustache?
Ans: Man from the Heineken commercial.
23. Would you share your location and / or your age?
Columbus, GA / 41
You may enjoy these related posts: