Handlebar Moustache Survey by Ian Steiner of Akron, Ohio
1. How long have you had a handlebar moustache, and what is your history with moustaches?
I’ve had the moustache for a couple months. This is my first moustache.
2. What moved you to grow a handlebar moustache?
I started growing the moustache after the Cleveland Marathon. I’m not sure why but I just stopped shaving it and now I have a pretty epic stache. I think it was divine intervention.
3. What are some of the reactions of others as you grew your handlebar moustache? What sort of reactions or comments did you get initially from your significant other?
So far the reaction I get from people has been positive. I’m an artist so people aren’t completely shocked that I have this thing on my face.
4. What are some of the funny or strange comments others have made about your handlebar
Tom Selleck, Juan Valdez, Freddie Mercury – the usual.
5. Has having a handlebar moustache had any effects on your personality/behavior, attitude, self-expression, sense of self?
I’m not sure it has that much effect on my personality but I like the way it looks. I’m called eccentric by a lot of people so I suppose it’s fitting.
6. What is it in your personality that drew you to growing a handlebar moustache?
I never know why I’m drawn to certain things. All I know is that I like it. I guess I’m a bit old school.
7. Have you been in any moustache contests or attended any such gatherings?
Not yet but possibly in the future.
8. It takes courage to wear a handlebar moustache. What would you say to those who think you look odd, silly or stupid with it?
I don’t associate with handlebar moustache haters. I really don’t worry too much about what people think anyway. I would assume those people are miserable and have no sense of style.
9. What waxes, styling aids or glues to you prefer and why?
Firehouse wax is great and I also use “moustache wrestler” wax. You can run a marathon with Firehouse wax in the stache! Moustache wrestler is also a great wax and I love the artwork on the tin.
10. What do you think a handlebar moustache does for a man?
It’s very manly and you definitely stand out. Dudes are jealous. It takes patience and dedication to grow a handlebar stache.
11. How attached are you to your handlebar moustache and what would it take for you to cut it off or remove the curls and not grow it back?
I’ve become pretty attached to the handlebar stache so I would have to be a life and death situation for me to get rid of it. I guess I would cut it off for a Triumph Bonneville T-100, a million dollars and a kiss from Natalie Portman.
12. Have you accumulated any moustached merchandise, shirts, mugs or other stuff? Include web site addresses if you have them so others can take a look.
I have a T-shirt from “moustache Wrestler”. You can get the wax from here http://www.etsy.com/listing/83008713/moustache-wrestler-mustache-wax?ref=exp_listing.
13. Can you recommend some moustache web sites if you know any worth mentioning?
I’m not familiar with any other sites other than this one. This is the best site.
14. Have you participated in online events like Moustache May, Movember or others, and what was that like?
I’m a newbie so no. I shall take part this year.
15. What would you like to see on handlebarmoustachelife.com?
No need to mess with perfection.
17. How has having a handlebar moustache affected your love life, and does it interfere with the act of kissing?
Girlfriend doesn’t particularly care for it but it’s not a major conflict. She just has to get used to it I guess. She is lucky to have me!!
18. Does your handlebar moustache give you any superpowers?
The stache has definitely taken my level of awesome up a few notches.
19. Would you share your location?
20. Please suggest a question you would like to see in this survey, and add your answer to it as well:
“Does the handlebar moustache garner respect and admiration from your peers?
Bonus Question by Josh: “Have you ever styled your mustache in a comical manner or specifically for a Halloween costume?”
Not yet but I have some Ideas.
You may enjoy these related posts: